1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did i really just get two sets of fender flats with the same defect or are these ok?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by danielfnj96, Mar 30, 2013.

1. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    So recently i ordered a set of fender flats for my 5 string and when they showed up the b string looked improperly wound so i told just strings the set was defective and they sent a new set. But today my new set arrived and it had the exact same problem. Below i will post a pick of both b strings the coiled one bein the new and the unwound the old. So does this look normal for a fender flatwound b string? None of the other strings were tapered or anything but im begining to wonder.

Attached Files:

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Looks like a standard taper to me. Looking at the website, it even says ".125tw" for the b string, which means it is a tapered string.

3. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Hopefully you pay JustStrings for the free set of strings they sent you too.

4. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    I thought tapers were only supposed to be like and inch though? I just measured the length on it and it was 2.5 inches.

5. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Circle K uses "shorter" tapers than everyone else and theirs are 1.625"

Most others I've seen are around 2-2.25" and sometimes even 2.5" depending on the manufacturer.

6. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    Ok well i guess that exsplains it then...

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Perfectly fine string.

Standard taper

8. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    +1

9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Oh please. Why don't you let the OP have a chance at letting JustStrings know about it before you get all high and mighty. I'm a big supporter of honesty on both ends of the counter when it comes to retail but if JustStrings were that worried about it, they would have asked him to send the old ones back.

10. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Some strings have a longer taper to make it easier to make the sharp bends when using string through body bridge.