Did I screw myself? Ebay Content.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hopkins, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I bought what was supposed to be a Squier Mustang bass neck off ebay. The item description only said

So I get the bass, and it turns out to be off of a Bronco, and someone attempted to drill out the tuning machine holes for 1/2" post tuners, and drilled to big, and obviously used a hand drill because they are oblong. The tuner bushings just fall out of the holes. It also has a tuner screw broke off in the neck. The finish is horrible but I was planning on stripping it, reshaping the head stock and refinishing it anyway, so that's a non issue.

So here is the reason for this thread, I messaged the guy with no response asking for a refund, because the tuning key holes were not mentioned in the ad, neither was the broken screw, and the neck needs serious work to get back to useable condition. He never replied to my message, so I filed a claim.

He then offered me a partial refund of $15.00, with this message.
    Of course I turned it down, and after some back and forth he offered me a $20 partial refund, which was still unacceptable. Then was trying to respond to his message and mistakenly accepted his offer, and $20 was put into my pay pal account.

Is this final, or can I some how cancel my acceptance of his offer? Or did I just spend $110 for some fire wood and a cheap set of tuners? I left him negative feedback, but that is hardly any kind of payback for him selling me junk.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Call Ebay and ask them.

3. But, I'm pretty sure: yes you did.

4. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Figured as much, this was my first negative experience buying off of Ebay. I guess the Jerk got one over on me.

5. Was that sarcasm?
    You can't get a hold of anybody at ebay or Paypal.

Keep pursuing the claim.

6. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Hopefully you get some resolution Hopkins

7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    You filed a claim right? You're not screwed if you still have that open and are disputing the item not being as described. It doesn't matter that he offered you a partial refund.

8. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

Sep 15, 2009
    I've had to call eBay several times about issues I was having with buyers and always was able to get someone on the phone after a few minutes of the little questions about what the problem was to get reconnected with the right people, you definitely need to call though.

9. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I mistakenly accepted his offer, The screen has a message box that looks exactly like the message box to return a message. I wasn't paying attention and accepted the offer, and instantly got an email notification of a paypal deposit of $20.

I guess I'm gonna have to fix the neck, its going to be more trouble than its worth.

10. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Didn't know.

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I think you'll put more time and energy into fighting this than it's worth...especially since you accepted the offer.

You do have the option of drilling out the tuner holes, re-filling them with wood, then re-drilling. Not fun, but you can do it.

You can paint the headstock a solid color to match the body and cover the woodwork.

12. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I will probably dowel the post holes, and the tuner screw holes, since they were installed crooked, and veneer both sides of the headstock with some maple, re drill the holes and sell it for less than I paid for it....

Or I will just use the tuners on another neck I bought, and throw that pile of junk in the closet on the off chance I ever build another short scale. I usually just buy necks when its a 4 inline Fender style headstock, because its faster and cheaper to just reshape a headstock, vs building from scratch, unless the customer wants a curly or birdseye maple neck or fingerboard. This time I got burned, and wound up buying twice. To bad Allparts or MightyMite don't do short scales, I wouldn't have had to buy a used pile of junk.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Give him negative feedback. Best you can do at this point.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Sorry to hear of your troubles bud. We seem to be seeing more and more of these eBay threads. It's unfortunate what eBay has turned in to.

I was thinking since you clicked on accept for the sellers offer, that probably ended the dispute from the eyes of eBay. Maybe I'm wrong.

-Mike

15. I had to call eBay once. It's possible to get through. Mine was over a bass that the seller was feeling dissatisfied by the eBay shipping calculator (his claim) but he really couldn't ship the bass until he got his paycheck at work. When I buy on evilBay, I pay as soon as the auction ends. I expect the same from the seller.

You need to start the claim process online and partway through, you'll get a phone number and an access code that is good for 15 minutes, so you need to call right away.

You'll get someone on the phone who will in no way help you, inform you that it's your fault that you accepted the offer, and there really isn't any further recourse available. That's not true, but it's a great dissuader.

A semi-expensive lesson learned. Sorry about that.

16. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Its not a huge deal, I didnt break the bank on the purchase, and I can fix it. I just dont like dishonest people. There were obvious flaws that were not listed.

I'm building a Strat and a Bass for my twin nieces. I'm building a short scale incase they actually ever want to learn to play. One is going to be shell pink the other sea foam green.

17. You don't really want to dowel those hole. That puts the grain 90 degrees to the grain of the headstock. What you want are "plugs." These are cut with plug cutters out of boards, so they can have the grain going the same direction as the head. Places like Woodcraft and Lee Valley have cutters for such plugs and I think Woodcraft has the plugs premade in maple - not as sure about Lee Valley.

Of course you need the plugs first so you can enlarge the oblong holes to exactly the correct (and round) size.

18. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    There would be no structural compromise with dowels in this case.

19. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i always wonder about this when buyers refuse to include or send pics of the backs of the neck and headstock

20. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    He had pictures, just low light low resolution. I couldnt see the problems from his pictures.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021