1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did I screw up, or am I a hero?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Dave Siff, Aug 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    So I'm really struggling with this one. Is this for real? I'm reading it that you as an adult took over the pitcher's mound at a little kid's baseball game and overwhelmed a bunch of little kid batters?(!) What am I misunderstanding in this whole concept? And if this is for real, why didn't one of the parents of the opposing team beat you senseless? I think there's more ( or less ) to this story than you have told. Either that or you are John Candy alive and well!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    alaskaleftybass likes this.
  2. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    NOW you're the hero!

3. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    "Perfect is the enemy of good"... :)

Beersurgeon likes this.
  4. My dear sir,

We are all happy that everything turned out well. Nevertheless, I certainly never said or implied that, “…one drunk guy grabbing a mic from another drunk guy warrants a punch in the face”. You didn’t read very carefully what I said, and you have thoroughly mischaracterized my comments. An object lesson if there ever was one, sir.

Your miscomprehension arises because you don’t understand: 1) What an assault is (what are the elements of assault), 2) What a battery is (what are the elements of battery), 3) What drunk and disorderly is (what are the elements of someone being drunk and disorderly), and 4) What it would mean for someone to be assaulted (and in this case, technically battered) by someone who was drunk and disorderly, and by all rights, presumably acting out an episode of Karaoke Rage.

Therefore, you cannot comprehend that in the event someone had been injured (either with malice or accidently) during the unfortunate incident described, criminal charges could, and depending upon the severity of the injuries, probably would under the circumstances have been filed by the District Attorney against the perpetrator if the police were to have become involved.

What I was trying to do was call attention to the potential implications when something like this happens for everyone’s benefit, including yours. If you didn’t understand something, you could have asked or sent me a private message.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 12:53 AM
    Tekkers and MordBass like this.
  5. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I was joking. I don't even have a son. The point being no matter how badly someone is doing on stage, don't push them off the pitcher's mound. Let them have their glory or a learning experience. Batter up!

Queue and mikewalker like this.
  6. definitely a bad move..no two ways about it..***..?
    "One likes to believe in the freedom of music"...apparently not you though..lol

at least you apologized so thats something, not a lot but it's the right thing to do...

mikewalker likes this.
  7. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Apologizing and learning so as not to have a repeat of one's mistake is HUGE. There's no way to put that cat back in the bag, so let's just learn from our mistakes and move on. If the offending party owns it and doesn't do it again in the future it should just be water under the bridge.

Holding a long term grudge is less cool than the offense of taking the mic off of somebody that went over their one song with it (& badly at that.)

8. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Yea you kinda did imply that, and also if it had went down like that, then OP would justifiably be going to jail as well.

9. I've only read the first page, so I'm sure 50+ people have already said this, but: not cool.

This was a party, and everybody was just enjoying themselves. Well, nearly everybody. I'm betting Mr. Notrush is not the vocalist in a gigging band around town, and I doubt even he thinks he can sing like Geddy Lee. But you know what? You don't actually have to be the best in the world at something - or even the best in the room - to enjoy doing it. The band (not your band, not your gig) circulated the set list, knowing not everybody who got up was going to be an Idol winner, he saw something he knew the words to, and just wanted 5 minutes (or 4 minutes and 33 seconds) to have some fun. Until you took it way too seriously and made him look stupid. Lighten up. Don't be "that guy".

10. Yeah, I realized that what I was saying could be interpreted that way, which is why I mentioned that the guy butchering the tune on stage would have every right to be frightened if someone more or less charged at him under the circumstances. I considered making that more clear, but I'm gun shy of coming off as too political. And that contributed to the lack of clarity in my message, I think.

Thanks for the comment. And this thread has a genuine happy ending! The OP, to his extreme credit reached out to the guy and apologized, and all is well. Beautiful!

catcauphonic likes this.
  11. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Dave :)

Very interesting thread!

You tried to save Tom Sayer…:rollno:

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

A lot of people haven' t understood what karaoke is about!

Including everybody who posted "sing the next song and do it better"!!!!!!

Karaoke is not a competition between people who can sing!

It is about overcoming fears! Someone who has no talent and no skills,

performs in front of a group of people. This needs courage!

In Japan nobody will ever laugh about you, when your karaoke perfomance is bad!

The applause is for your courage not for your talents!

Everybody tries to give his/ her best, but outperforming someone is a huge no go!

When you can sing, choose a song that you never did before or sing a duet with someone who is horrible!

It' s about fun!

The only losers are the ones, who don' t respect the others

and can 't enjoy themselves, without being "the best"!

Of course this concept is completely unknown to our western world,

where nobody will show his/ her weakness.

Because being respectless and behaving like cavemen have become the norm. (YMMV)

Back on topic:

You did not save Tom Sayer taking that microphone but...

with that excuse, you became my Huckleberry!:D :thumbsup:

Relax!!! And have more fun next time!

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

whero, mikewalker and Picton like this.
  12. That's all I could do. I messed up really badly. The more I think about it, the worse it gets. I'm gonna be beating myself up over this for quite some time.

13. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Don’t. We all screw up, it’s what we take away from our mistakes that counts.

14. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    You screwed up. You realised it and apologised. Nobody died. It's all good so time to move onwards, a little bit older and wiser.

coolhang, Zbysek, Nevada Pete and 5 others like this.
  15. Like I said in a previous message, nobody's perfect. And remember, alcohol was also a factor. You are to be commended highly for reaching out and apologizing to that guy. No one can ask any more of you than that. Your story has the best ending it could possibly have. If I knew you personally, I would be happy to have you as my friend. :)

16. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    None
    Heck, you ought to stop beating yourself up now, you dealt with it honorably. Besides, you've had the best of TB beating you up for 2 days! You learned from a mistake, the guy is cool with your apology, ok to move on. I wish more people would follow your example!

17. It's probably one of those things that will loom far larger in your mind than it will for others. Heck, most everyone who was there have probably forgotten all about it by now, and to the Taylor Swift character in this story, it should be water under the bridge after your apology. If he can't let it go, it's on him at this point, not you.

Forgive yourself completely and without reservation. You can even chuckle about it a little now. You went from petty to the bigger man, and wiser for the experience. That's a huge leap that a lot of true numbskulls wouldn't make. You know you're hardly the only person on earth to screw the pooch; in fact, you're in a lot of really good company. I hate to say it, but I'm still learning lessons similar to this, and the hard way, at the age of 60. The music biz kinda opens you up to it.

18. Closing the loop on this, I had a beer with the guy last night. He couldn't have been cooler about everything. I gave him my extra copy of Geddy Lee's book, which he really appreciated.
    Mods, feel free to lock this one up, thanks.

catcauphonic, muggsy, vvvmmm and 7 others like this.
  19. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Well done!

DrThumpenstein, Zbysek and Dave Siff like this.
  20. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    [​IMG] :thumbsup: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.