1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did I screw up? PLX 1602 running parallel into 600W cabs....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by teedub, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Though my gear still hasn't all arrived, I'm constantly on the lookout for more information. I just can't stop researching, even though I've already pulled the trigger on a new rig. I've read all the manuals, and (thought) I calculated everything correctly............

But now I fear I may end up underpowering these new cabs with my PLX 1602. Avatar 210 and 212 running parallel from the 1602 at 4 ohms each cab. That only pumps 500W through each 600W cab........

Hindsight is always 20/20, as they say, but I guess I miffed up on my math. That, and I got the 1602 for a good price, figuring that it would be sufficient, but it looks as though I should have checked out the 2402 at the very least (at 700W@4ohms)......

I also realize that I've basically answered all of my own questions, but I'm sort of looking for a support thread......:help:

Maybe I'll be OK for some gigs, but what happens if I'm just not loud enough, and I want to melt some faces???? Obviously I'll be shopping for a 2402 or more..........but I don't think that's an option right now.

Just when you think you've got it all figured out......you don't.:spit:

2. I've gigged with my B212 @450 watts and my B115 @275 watts together full range and had nooooooo problems melting faces. I wouldn't worry one bit about your purchases. It WILL ROCK! :bassist: :hyper:

3. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Wow, only 1000 watts through 2 12" and 2 10" speakers. Man, I hope you have front of house support. Otherwise, you won't be able to do anything but coffee house gigs...

4. Sorry, I should have mentioned that I play (at the most) small to medium sized (500-1000 cap) rock venues with two guitar players (Marshall and Mesa 1/2 stacks), keyboards, and a drummer with a 26" kick drum beside me. WALL OF SOUND.

My SVT-4 couldn't keep up, running into BXT210 and 115, so I upgraded to the rig I have yet to fully receive, as described above. Sorry about that.........:ninja:

(......where's the "hold the sarcasm" smilies?............)

5. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    That's quite a bit of power and speaker area moving there. Doubling you power will get you head room, but not all that much more volume. I could see upgrading for headroom, but I think that you will already be able to "melt some faces" easily.

6. Thanks! I guess what I SHOULD have asked would have been more focused around the "headroom" issue, and not the "face melting" dilemma. I just have concerns about ever needing the headroom, and ending up underpowering my cabs, though I doubt I'd let that happen. If the amp looked as though it was clipping, and turn it down and live with it, like I already have been doing.

I'll just wait try it out at rehearsals and gigs, and if I can hear myself without having to crank the snot out of it, I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks again!

7. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.

Why do you think that there is a problem? 500 watts is plenty of power for most situations. Is your power amp clipping? Are you running out of headroom?
    I run my QSC 1602 parrallel, 500 watts per side into Schroeder 1210(800 watts) and 1212 (1000 watts) and so far I have not had to push the amp anywhere near clipping. By this time I am melting faces.
    Be patient and wait for your full setup, then see how it all performs onstage. You may or may not need a bigger amp, I am going to guess that you will be fine with what you have.

8. Thanks seansbrew......I knew you'd talk some sense into me. ;)

I guess if I never need to really push the amp to get the volume I need, I'll be thoroughly happy, and this thread will be moot.

I just thought it was a good rule of thumb to have *some* headroom, but if it's already plenty loud, then I suppose it's not necessary.........

What I was used to, was having to push my amp to it's limits just to barely be heard, and it wasn't a muddy tone issue or anything like that. Just not enough juice.

I may just be too impatient, but they MUST arrive this week. It's my birthday on Friday for criminy's sake, and I need to make some serious thump by then!:hyper:

Thanks again for all your help, I'm not trying to sound like a whiny suck..........just want to make sure I've made the right decisions, since this will be THE rig for quite a while.

(BTW, I love the whole "face melting" thing. It's just great. :D)

9. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Have you considered bridging the amp and running your cabs in series?...probably give you like a 1100 watts into 8ohms plus the extra kick of power with the amp bridged :hyper: with more overhead:bassist:

10. Wouldn't that give me a 2 ohm setup, though? (2x4 ohm cabs=2 ohms)

I thought of that, but I'd rather run the amp at 4 ohms/side rather than 2 ohms bridged.

But thanks for the thought!

11. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    That would give him a two ohm load which instead of melting faces, would melt his amp.
    What pieces are you waiting for Tee?

12. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Dude, thats going to be plenty loud. I ran one side of a 1602 into a 4 ohm 4x10 and it was loud enough for a rock gig. If you have trouble cutting through, use the 30 or 50hz filter on the PLX and work with your EQ to find your sonic space (find a frequency in the mids where the guitar players are cutting, and boost there).

13. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    No. In SERIES, as the original poster said, would give 8 ohms. You would get two if in PARALLEL.

- Tim

14. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Question, how do you wire "in series " ?

15. fourstring44

fourstring44 In Memoriam

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
    He could change the wiring in each cab to series, making each cab 16 ohm's. Then when daisy chained together, he would have an 8 ohm load and could run the amp bridged. But IMO you wouldn't be gaining much. I think you will have plenty of umph with your setup.

_Curt

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Another vote for no worries on your part.
    I have run my Eden Navigator/qsc-plx 1602 parallel into a Schroeder 1210 (rated at ~800 watts) on one side, and a Schroeder 410 (rated at ~1600 watts) off the other side, and it was devastating.

17. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Agreed. You're fine

18. Still waiting on the PLX 1602, Bmax SS pre, and Avatar 212, (basically everything ;))which should all be here very soon.

I've really sat down and reassessed my obsession with this whole thing......I made these decisions based on a lot of research. I shouldn't be second-guessing myself at all. I'll have a lighter, more powerful rig that suits my needs perfectly. :D

As for wiring in series, it definitely wouldn't be worth the trouble, but thanks for the info!

And thanks again for the support! TB = gear therapy!

19. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    You can actually make a little box which will allow you to wire 2 cabs in series. This site is awesome, and shows what I mean! http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/patchbox.html

:bassist:

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    There's no point in having the amp in bridged (which is actually having the two channels in series) driving two loudspeakers in series unless you only have one speaker cable that you can connect to the amp. You might as well just put one speaker on each channel.

If the amp and loudspeaker are well matched to one another, if you can get the sound levels you need without clipping you have enough power. Or even if you have light or occasional clipping, that's okay, too.