Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did I shoot myself in the foot?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Santa Kraut, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Well, about 2 months ago I bought a BC Rich Warlock which I love greatly. About a month after having it the nut died and I had to replace it (it was a plastic nut and I was planning on replacing it with a bone nut regardless if it died or not). At first I thought, hey it was a floor model so I guess thing is to be expected. While playing last night I noticed my 6th and 8th frets on my A string give me a HORRID buzzing noise. I looked at the Fret Not Repair site and saw my frets were probably uneven. This is aggrivating because A) it's a fairly new bass and B) my frets are low as it is, to have them leveled might make them to low which will mean an entire refret. So far I have invested too much money as it is with repairs on this bass. Did I make a poor choice with buying this bass? Is there anything I can do to save this bass or am I screwed?

2. yes. count yourself among the victims of companies who sell basses through looks rather than quality.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What do you mean the nut died?
    -I'm guessing that your strings died & you need a new set of strings.
    Which model of BC Rich is it?
    -Usually, the lower end models have very poor QC & the intermediate models have well, poor QC also.
    Are you certian the the frets need leveling?
    -Your best bet is bring it to a local guitar tech & have them look @ it. If the frets are unlevel, I doubt that a grind & polish for a few uneven frets would affect the fret height too much.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    hmm.... I'm not going to start a BC rich bashing thread.. but You tend to get a look when you buy BC rich.. not quality....I have a feeling you will be encountering numerous problems with this bass....

OTOH, you may just need a proper setup.. I doubt the frets are uneven.. you may just need to adjust the action and truss rod.. like mentioned above, take it somewhere so they can do a professional setup

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I could have gone all day without the foot shot.:p

6. The thing is it sounded and played great, so thats why I went with it. When I say the nut died I mean I got horrid rattling when I played open notes. I had a proper set up when I replaced the nut. And it isn't the action, because it's only those two frets that are giving me problems, the rest are fine. Thanks for the input though. I guess I learned that lesson the hard way...

7. I think you should pull all the frets out and play like Jaco!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Just kidding!!;)

No fret fob is perfectly flat (nothing is perfect), it all depends what we accept as acceptable. It sounds like your neck is in a little bit of "backbow" and your truss rod is a little too tight. When you sight the neck (look down the fingerboard from the tuners to the bridge, on both sides, bass and treble) it should be pretty damn flat or a little arc away from the strings. The height of the nut is critical to how the bass plays, I'm assuming you had that installed, that person should be able to help you more!!:D