Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did I speak too soon?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by inazone, Apr 26, 2005.

1. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Ive tried out some schroeder cabs and have posted that I didnt like them for my tastes. To be honest, I still feel the same and stand by what I have posted. Untill.... I tried the 3101212. I had a short spin with this cab but I had the store to myself. I used a tobias killer B and a modulus Q5 through a svp-cl and demeter 201 powered by a stewart 1.2 .

In short, this is a nice cab. It didnt have the "drone" that Ive heard before with other sch cabs. It was tight and big (if that makes sence) and was a lot cleaner and more neutral than the other sch cabs. Even with only running 350 watts at 4ohms, it was quite loud. Ive read others that have posted that the cabs sound the same quiet as they do loud and I would agree with this cab. I can see where this cab would cut through and fit in the mix nice.

One thing I didnt like was how heavy this cab is. Its not that its a tank (but it is) but that its cumbersome to move arround. The one I tried didnt have castors and is about the same size as an el whappo, but heavier. Im 6'3" and fit and dont mind moving arround big cabs but I would much rather lift my aguilar 412.

Over all, and Im being honest, I dont "get" the craze on the other sch cabs but the 3101212 ranks up there for me with nice cabs. This one might come home with me. :bassist:

2. Did you go to guitarx on broadway in Denver? I'm planning on bringing my head in this week to check out some of their gear. They're supposed to expand their store very soon. I've never played EA, Accugroove, Schroeder, or Epifani before so I'm pretty excited.

Sorry you didn't enjoy them as much as you thought but atleast you tried before you buyed.

3. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Which other Schroeders did you try? How does the 3101212 compare to them. I'm thinking of buying two 21012 but could change my mind and get just one 3101212 and a 1210 or 1212. Thanks!

ANDRUCA

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    A 3101212 and a 1210/1212?? Are you crazy? Schroeder designed the 3101212 for touring bassists doing stadium/huge gigs..

5. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    The thing is I currently use an RBI + power amp (450W+450W@4ohms / 1400W@4ohms bridged) in stereo thru one Hartke 4.5XL and one Hartke 215XL cabs. I need to keep the super low end I have now but with much higher volue. Will a single 3101212 really UPGRADE my rig? Thanx, and forgive my ignorance on Schroeders!

ANDRUCA

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, when I was in talks with Schroeder a while ago, he assured me a 3101212 would be overkill by itself for me. I'm playing large outside gigs with no PA support in front of a few hundred people. I'm in a LOUD hard rock band and he said a single 1210 could probably handle it. If not, two of them, or 1210 + 1212 rig would be killer.

I'm still inclined to go with schroeders, i'm just not sure they're the sound for me.

7. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I see 2 advantages

1) Initial investment would be less than with the two 21012 I had in mind.
    2) I can always buy a second one (and triple the power amp) later! :D

ANDRUCA

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I'm sure one 21012 or 410 would do you. The 3101212 is also harder to get around.

If you get another one, and need another power amp in the future, your just going to spend more money then you initially would and you'd be carrying around two big and heavy cabs.

Why not a 21012 + 1212/1210.

9. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    My original idea was two 21012. But reading inazone's comments on the 3101212 had me thinking in what the difference is, I don't know, maybe there's more bottom end out of a single 3101212 than from two 21012s... ????

ANDRUCA

EDIT: Also consider there's not the slightest chance I get to try a Schroeder cab before buying here in Spain!