Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did I wire something wrong?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sonorous, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    So I ordered a Bartolini CBP8 for my SX P-bass. I wired it with trial and error, because the wires were different than the pickup that was already in there. The stock pickup had a wire coming off of both halves of the pickup and they were also wired to each other. The Bart halves are wired to each other, but there is only one wire coming from one half to the volume pot. There is also a ground.

I put it a few different places and got it to work. The only problem is that now my volume and tone knobs don't work. The volume is either full on or silent, and the tone has no affect at all.

Did I screw something up with all of that trial and error? I know everything else is wired correctly because I didn't move any of it. Did I fry the pots by leaving the soldering iron on the contacts too long? Maybe I need new pots with a different value? (500k VS 250k?)

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, obviously the answer is yes, it's a matter of discoving WHAT went wrong. :)
    Could you describe EXACTLY how wires were connected to the pots/ground before, and EXACTLY how you wired it now. Photos would be ideal.

The 250K vs 500K will have a slight effect on the sound, but wouldn't have the effect you describe.

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
  4. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Basically, the white wire in the Bart cable is the same as the white wire in your original pickup. The shield...what you've called the "ground" is the same as the black wire. Connect the shield to the back of the pot where the black wire was...connect the white wire to the previous white wire's terminal on the pot. If the colors of the original were other than black and white, the same idea still works...white is hot and goes to the pot...shield goes to ground or the pot case.

5. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Tornadobass, it seems I had the shield wired to the wrong place. I've got it fixed now. Thanks guys.

6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Glad to help...enjoy your upgraded axe!