1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did Ibanez Musican come as a lined Fretless and were the original pickups crappy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rat Blitz, May 1, 2010.

1. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    I've been gassing for an Ibanez Musician for a bit but tis not been easy to find one that's both affordable and in decent shape.
    I've located a MC-924 but it's Fretless and lined. From the Ibanez catalog I can only find a unlined Fretless version from 1980/81 (MC-940).
    Does anyone know if Ibanez did make a lined fretless version or was it probably done later. I've seen a few lined examples kicking about but I knew it was a popular thing to do at the time.
    And if it has been done after-market (and done pretty well) how much will that effect the price?
    Also it seems hard to find any Musician with original pickups. They have mostly been modded with EMGS (and some of the mod jobs look like crap!). Were the original Musician pickups that bad?
    One last question. I can't seem to find the Musician but I have found an Ibanez SRX-700 which I have been told is a poor man's version of the Musician. Can anyone comment if it might be close enough to make me happy (me being a poor man and all ;-).
    Cheers

2. I've heard good things about the original. Some people just think EMG's are MAGIC TONE MACHINES and put them in everything.

3. gary ashall

gary ashall

Jul 27, 2010
    belfast
    hi,did not come as a lined fretless and there are some good examples out there that have been de-fretted. the original pickups (IBANEZ SUPER 4) have been rated by many as excellent pick ups (myself included).my own musician 940 is a 1981 which i just got recently in october 2011 is a bass i have been after since 1986 but any i ever came across were usually battered or had parts missing so i jumped at the chance of this one as its in great order for a 30 year old bass. all original parts including original case and after playing for nearly 30 years myself can honestly say that it is one of the nicest fretless basses i have ever played. hope by now that you own one....cheers

4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    As Gary said, if there are lines in the fretboard, it was originally a fretted bass that was converted to fretless. A lined fretless was not offered in the Musician line. A defretted bass is always worth less than it would be unmodified.

I seldom see Musician basses with the original pickups replaced. The original pickups found in Musician basses are held in very high regard. In fact, I wouldn't consider buying one that had EMG's.

When you say "affordable", what do you mean? That is, what price range are you in?

5. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    original preamp was extremely noisey but bass sounded good. I had one in the early 80's and it was great bass. thick neck...regretted selling it so bought another one but .....
    I may be selling my passive one if any interest out there.

Attached Files:

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FWIW, he posted his question a year and a half ago. An old thread was revived. :)

I agree though that the original pickups were great, and I have NOT seen any tendency to replace them with anything else.

7. gary ashall

gary ashall

Jul 27, 2010
    belfast