1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did it - the dreaded "Playalong" vid. Funky hidden gem of a tune

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by kesslari, Dec 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I just love this groove.
    So I figured I'd do a playalong - my first. Thanks to the TB'ers who helped me understand why a Reaper recording done at the same take as an iPhone video would not sync... and thanks to @Rabidhamster for doing the frame rate fix.

Comments welcome. Don't worry, I won't quit my day job...

DB5, Tom Bomb, Crater and 27 others like this.
  2. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    That was a great video, congratulations!

Great playing, I loved it!

kesslari and Rabidhamster like this.
  3. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    That turned out great! Excellent playing and a tasty bassline I wasn’t familiar with before. Thanks for making it!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    JRA and kesslari like this.
  4. Came out great! I'm glad you got it worked out. Pretty funky, I might have to hire you if I ever write another funky tune :)

Spidey2112, Rabidhamster, JRA and 2 others like this.
  5. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Thanks, all! It was fun to do.

Spidey2112, Rabidhamster and JRA like this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

delectable! nice playing! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and peace to you, kesslari, happy new year!

i guess you figured out the audio/video sync issues (?). i wanted to jump into the other thread to help, but you were getting some good advice. how did you finally arrive at sync?

Rabidhamster and kesslari like this.
  7. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Thank you, my bass brother! Peace and groove to you and yours! And here's to a new year for all!
    The great and admirable @Rabidhamster offered to, and did, handle the sync in Adobe Premier. He said it was pretty easy. :D

8. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Turned out the video was 44.1k vs the 48k of the audio and what one might expect from a videos audio track. After matching up the sample rates, Adobe Premieres “Preserve Audio Sync“ function really made it just like syncing any constant frame footage.
    Happy new year!

LBS-bass, kesslari and JRA like this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nice groove!

I'm watching on my phone. What's the artist and title of the original?

Great playing!

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

got it! i do all of my video editing these days without the advantage of time code (i'm a SMPTE expert :wideyed: ) so i do it visually instead of by-the-numbers these days --- but it works (and it's cheaper!), i'm not complaining. :D

i'm glad you got the gist and made the corrections. his video is spot on. his great playing shines the way he intended! ;)

and happy new year to you and yours! :thumbsup:

kesslari and Rabidhamster like this.
  11. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm way too clueless to understand the recording techspeak. I'm just here to say wow that playing was killer! And that tone (and bass) is to die for!

12. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Thank you. Artist is David Bendeth, song is "Feel the Real". It's a sleeper for sure, and serious fun.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  13. Swipter

Swipter

Sep 7, 2009
    Phoenix
    Loved it. I loved the harmonies.

14. GoesThump

GoesThump

Jul 13, 2007
    Nicely done! Great playing & tone.

... I will admit I was mildly disappointed that you didn't look like your avatar, however. :)

GT

db59, J_Bass and kesslari like this.
  15. Funky!! :cool:

kesslari likes this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    kesslari likes this.
  17. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    Very nice! Great tone. And I'm wondering what kind of stand is holding your bass?

Rabidhamster likes this.
  18. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    I just got the same question by PM so I am just copying my answer.

I'll gladly take a minute.
    The one I use is the MBrace. Mbrace Main Page
    Back in 2011 I had 3 vertebrae fused in my neck. I was told that during the first 6 weeks of recovery I would not be permitted to lift more than 5 lbs.
    I looked at my Zon, which I knew to weigh more than 5 lbs, and thought "6 weeks, no bass? No effin' way."
    I was going to have a friend build me something, then found the Mbrace. I thought that I would use it for those 6 weeks and be done. I have pics of me doing gigs in the neck brace with the stand...
    What happened was that I found that I loved it. The consistency of placement is a huge win for me, and the fact that I could get my body out of the way or optimize where I stood for playing in different positions on the neck. And the weight of the bass, any bass, became a total non-issue. (That's less important for me because my Zon is about all I play, but I joke about "bring on the 14 lb Alembics"...) :D

A few cons from my point of view:
    1. I can't move around on stage. No walking over to the guitarist to pose doing unison lines. No turning around to groove with the drummer. No motown style groovy dance moves. Then again I never got a gig based on my motown groovy dance moves, so to me all of this is pretty much not a problem.
    2. I can't move the bass relative to me (easily), only me relative to the bass. You probably move the bass (the angle of the neck) various times throughout the night or even a song. Can't do that. I did some modifications to make it easier, but it's still far from maneuvering a bass on a strap.
    They're not for everyone. TB'er pcake tried one and didn't like it - the angle (front to back) didn't work for her.
    Me - I love mine.

Oh, for me the biggest problem is that when I post videos I get almost no comments on my playing, just comments on the stand! :D

Rabidhamster and db59 like this.
  19. that was funky cool! looks as fun to play as it sounds..Cheers sir! and thanks for the incentive to get my greenhorn a$$ practicing..:bassist:

20. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    Thanks for the reply. I guess you're only slightly more limited for the groovy dance moves than if you were playing an upright. It looks awesome for eliminating the weight on your shoulder. I always practice sitting down because of heel spurs, so a different problem for me. But, now I'm wondering if I had an MBrace could I play like you?

kesslari likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021