Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did Jaco use flats or rounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Mar 25, 2003.

1. I would assume flats, but what do I know.....heh strings are cool

2. I believe he used dead sets of roundwound Rotosounds.

3. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    I've heard of him only using roundwounds. I've also heard he didn't practice on fretless because the rounswounds tore up the board, is this true?

4. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    he used roundwounds, and coated his fretless fingerboard with epoxy so the rounds wouldn't damage the board

5. I dont think he could acheive the amount of mwah required for "that Jaco sound" with flats. I also heard about him not practicing on fretless(probably frome someone here).

6. In the instructional video he says he always practices on fretted basses, and that the jazzz basses had P bass necks, so when he swtiched to the J bass neck, it was easier

7. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Up until the late 60's, Jaco was using flatwounds on his 1960 fretted, Fender 'J' bass. The 62' Fender 'J', (bass of doom) fretless was - as David points up, strung with Rotosound "SwingBass" roundwounds... after the Florida humidity caused his upright to almost literally explode, he sat down at the kitchen table with bass, butter knife and the boat epoxy to make his fretted, fretless.

michael s.

8. Unfortunately there are many stories about the advent of his fretless, most coming from himself, depending on the state of his mind at the time. He told one magazine he got the bass already defretted, and told Bill Milkowsky he yanked the frets in the tour bus with the C.C. Riders.

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I believe they were two separate basses, actually, Marty. He defretted his '62 Jazz when he was 19 - and then sometime later when he was on tour (I don't remember which band - I'll take your word for it with C. C. Riders) - and he was actually playing somebody else's (fretted) bass, but decided he wanted to play fretless, so he went to a hardware store to get some wood glue etc., and defretted it there & then.

The guy was a bit surprised, and worried - because he didn't realise Jaco could already play fretless, he thought Jaco would screw it up.

That's what I recall reading in Milkowski's bio, anyway.

10. Yeah, some one loaned him there 60 something jazz bass, and he decided in a hotel room on tour with CC Riders that he would defret the thing despite the fact he didn't own it

11. I've heard that he prefered newer strings. the older his strings got, the more he had to turn up the treble.