1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did Jamerson do Jackie Wilson's "Higher and Higher"? + Request

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Jul 8, 2012.

1. I thought that I read somewhere that Jamerson did bass for some of Jackie Wilson's stuff. I know Barry Gordy worked with Jackie Wilson, so there is a possible connection.

It's just the same riff repeated over and over thru the whole song, but I can't find it anywhere. I would love it if someone could tab this for me.

Attached Files:

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Come on, bro! It's only 3 different notes!

Okay, just this once... but really, work on using those ears and try not to rely on tab too much for the very simple stuff. Just a bit of friendly advice. ;)

[​IMG]

3. Thanks Bill! I really don't like asking, but my skill level is definately beginner, my ear is not in tune. lol

4. Aw... Mr. Soul, Jackie Wilson, was one of the hardest working men in show business.
    Had a heart attack at 41 during a performance and never recovered. RIP
    Only Jackie could wear a red satin jumpsuit with Robin Hood boots and make it look cool.
    Video here:Higher and Higher Live

Wikipedia:
    The backing track for "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher" was recorded on 6 July 1967 at Columbia's studios in Chicago. Produced by Carl Davis, the session - arranged by Sonny Sanders - featured bassist James Jamerson, drummer Richard "Pistol" Allen, guitarist Robert White, and keyboardist Johnny Griffith; these four musicians were all members of the Motown Records house band

5. I wonder what kind of deal he had with Motown to be able to get out and work on other music for other labels like that? Maybe he was just so in demand?

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I don't believe Motown was too thrilled with any of The Funk Brothers "side projects".
    One reason why Motown did not credit the musicians in the liner notes. The competition was supposed to know who these guys were.
    ...sometimes, a different name was used on "side projects" to throw the Motown police off.