1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

did jamerson have a funk band?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by daveyfunk, Jan 6, 2007.

1. was watching 'standing in the shadow of motown' and at the end theres at the beginning theres some music by jamersons funk band...anyone know what its called and where i could get a little listen...love jamersons style and would love to hear him playing more funk...thanks

2. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    The house band at Motown was called The Funk Brothers and they would record in the afternoon and at night they would go to clubs and play all night to make their money. Other than the funk brothers he wasnt in another band except for when he might sit in with a group.

3. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Jamerson and rest of the Funk Brothers player local clubs in their day. They recorded and toured with Earl Van Dyke who was also one of the keyboards players in the Motown house band. That is how they ended up going to England. The Funk Brothers were all Jazz and R&B players and brought more sophisticated chord voicings and arrangements to create the Motown sound. Jamerson was a upright player and big fan of Ray Brown. If you analyse his lines you can see his upright and Jazz background come thru.

4. ok...i thought it was the funk brothers but wasnt sure if that was just the collaborative title for the core musicians who played on the motown label...anyone know where i can sample some music? tried googling but it doesnt seem to come up with much...did they do any recordings? if not, does anyone know of any similar sounding funk, not ToP, EW+F or any jazz funk...no offence meant to anyone who likes them, just not my thing...more on the lines of the meters or james brown...thanks

5. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    Dude I think you're talking about Bob Babbitt (Motown's other bassist). He was in a band with a name like Dennis Coffey's detroit guitar band.

6. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    No , I dont think thats what he means. Dennis Coffey was also in The Funk Brothers later on. He did have his own band but it was a jazz trio. Babbitt wasnt their bassist though. Coffey did have a few solo albums on Motown I think though. Babbitt played on those as well as the other funk brothers.

7. BassLand

BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    "Did Jamerson have a funk band"?

Funk 40 years ago was not the same as what funk is now.

8. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    "The Funk Brothers" were the house band at Motown that played on every hit to come out of there. If you want to hear them, listen to most anything by Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, The Marvelettes, The Pips, etc. The reason your google search didn't come up with much is because they have only now begun to be credited for the work they did. Back in the day, Motown didn't put any of the musicians' names on the records on which they played. The Funk Brothers are (/were) all great musicians but certainly did not play any kind of music like ToP or the Commodores or anything.
    -Alex

9. listen to the intro track on standing in the shadows, i think its before pino's little ditty on the jamerson bit...anyway i think its called 'THE FLICK' and it opens (on the film anyway) with the line 'watcha gonna do', or ends with it...ummm, get confused on that...anyway, its an instrumental set around a blues progression and its funky as hell...i googled funk brothers and 'the best of the funk brothers' popped up, but its all backing tracks of motown hits...i was wondering if anyone had any idea about more recordings they did like 'the flick'...they must of had numerous side projects going on coz they talk about their liaisons with other labels/artists in the spying part with bootsy listening...and the fact their all immensely gifted musicians they must of had some jams or written a couple of tunes that got recorded along the way...

i know they didnt write tunes like ToP...i was just making a sidenote on my own personal preferance of funk, and i prefer the meters, james brown kinda funk to the more jazzy Top kinda thing...if anyone knows any funk bands similar to the meters id be entirely greatful if they'd enlighten me...damn!! i love the funk...lol...thanks for listening :)

10. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Actually, I have a recording of The Flick. It is a track on Earl Van Dykes solo LP. The band on the LP was indeed the Funk Bros. There are some interesting tracks on it, though one thing about it is an absolute scream. They put in canned applause between songs to make it sound like a live concert. While it does sound as though it was recorded in studio live, the thousands of people clapping makes it seem a bit absurd. From a historical point it's a good collectors piece, but don't kill yourself looking for it.
    From "The Earl of Funk"
    Track Titles

1. Someday We'll Be Together

2. Rainy Night In Georgia

3. "Thank You" Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin

4. Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye

5. Wichita Lineman

6. The Flick

1. Cissy Strut

2. Stand By Me

3. My Cherie Amour

4. Fuschia Moods

5. The Stingray

6. The Whip A Rang

11. There are 2 Motown releases you might check out.

"Standing In The Shadow Of Motown -Deluxe Edition" has a second disc featuring instrumental mixes of many Motown originals as well as 3 bonus tracks to the original soundtrack.

The other is "The Best of the Funk Brothers" featuring tracks from the Earl VanDyke records which were instrumental versions of many popular Motown tunes.

I have heard rumors that Motown recorded a solo album featuring Jamerson but it was never officially released.

12. I thought "The Flick" was the unofficial theme song for the Funk Brothers. They'd play it as a band feature when backing up artists.

13. ummm...i dunno, the tune plays for a couple of minutes on the recording...i dont think the musicians got that kind of exposure...i think its one of their tracks. like jerry said, its an earl van dyke tune...and im pretty sure there must be more...

jerry...whats cissy strut like? im a huge meters fan and id love to hear how the funk brothers played it...most of the tunes on the album you've posted are from motown. im still convinced that there's gotta be more original funk brothers material out there...hmmmm, the search continues :)

14. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    If you ever get the SITSOM book there ares two cds with it . The opening track has Paul Mccartney talks abit then My Girl kicks in. But after a bout a minute a live recording kicks in with JAmerson laying down some funk with only some percussion behind him and the MC or Earl Van Dyke says " James Jamerson on the Fender BAss" then the rest of the band kicks in after awhile of jamerson palying

15. sounds interesting...thanks ;)