Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did Jerry Garcia use a Mutron?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    my buddy decided to try out my Mutron on his guitar the other day. after tweeking it real quick he got jerry garcias exact vowel like effect he used to use. did jerry use a mutron?

2. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
  3. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I think he used a Mutron octave pedal too?

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hehe, they still advertize them as "Get that Jerry Sound" too I think :)

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    MAN WHAT A GEEK!

I love the Dead!(on a good night)

Aj

6. That's Alice Cooper!

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

No, heroin.

8. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    heh heh... good call rickbass

9. rickbass

Please realize, I hate, I mean HATE the Grateful Dead with all my heart.
    I only went to their concerts so I could smoke pot and snort coke with my friends, (and, believe it ornot, St.Louis cops who were htting the hash pipe!!!!
    I always thought Phil Lesh was the most boring bassist I ever had the displeasure to put up with..........I couldn't care what all the old fat, pot-smoking Alembic hippies did to make him sound good...........HE BORED ME TO TEARS!!!!!!

Matt Dean likes this.
  10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Bruce Lee Voice on..

( Points Up)

"Dont Look at the Finger or....."

(Gesturing to the sky with a wide arc of a wave)

"You will Miss All of That Heavenly Glory."

AJ

11. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    To note, the original Musitronics Mutron III (the HAZ Labs Mutron III+ is an illigit clone) and the Q-Tron were both designed by Mike Beigel.

And yeah, as far as Phil goes, whaddya expect from a guy who's a classically trained trumpeter abducted by deranged hippies? The Dead really should have learned how to play... :rolleyes:

edit: Hey rickbass, why so uptight maaaaaaaan? :cool:

Witness412 likes this.
  12. rickbass

Ryan - It was just pure hell!!! When and where I grew up had an "Deadhead" culture. I'd go to parties because many of my best friends were there and all damn night, week after week, party after party, it was the Grateful Dead all damned night on the stereo. A bunch of these people even referred to Garcia as "Jerry", like they were best buds.

Thing was, I have nothing at all against the Dead as people or their fans. They were some of the nicest people I ever met. And the band came off, at least to me, as some of the nicest people you could want to mert......no star-tripping whatsoever.

But man! Those Dead jams of what seemed like eternal, pointless noodling that went nowhere, like someone totally lost on the fretboard, IMO, were just maddening!

After seeing The Stooges..........well....life was different for me.

Matt Dean likes this.
  13. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
    i heart the dead

14. Rickbass,

You are being obtuse. If I read between the lines, you are not terribly fond of the Dead?
    ;)
    I concur. My best friend in high school had hundreds of their bootlegs on tape. I could never get into it...to say the least. I went to one show: eh. My last Dead show too.

BTW, I recall from old '70s mazine articles Jerry did use the Mutron.

FWIW, Zappa favored their wah-wah.

15. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I feel ya.

You wanna hear some schtick-funky jams, though, try anything from Reconstruction. More tightness than the Dead ever thought possible. Garcia mostly took a supporting role to the horn line and John Kahn (long time bass pal of Jerry's, uh, I mean, Garcia) slams. Their cover of the Bobby Caldwell tune "What You Won't Do For Love (L-O-V-E)" hits it.

Oh, but there's no Mutron III... :rolleyes:

16. rickbass

I went to about 5. You do that when you're about 18 years old because all your friends are going.

Plus, the "party" in the seats was so good. At one show, the New Riders of the Purple Sage were doing the bill before the Dead and a friend of mine, who was a dealer, got backstage and smoked a bunch of his finest with the New Riders. They were so messed up when they hit the stage, they often lost their ability to play cohesive songs during their performance.

Then, one of the St. Louis cops who was doing security at the show saw us passing around the pipe. He said, "Let me see that!" So we thought, "OK, damn, we're busted!!!" Instead he sat down with us and hit that pipe for the entire Dead show at this gorgeous Fox theater.

17. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    whats the difference between the dead, and the grateful dead... i never really listened to either.

hippy bands are a major turn-off