Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did my QSC finally give up the ghost?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PlayTheBass, Mar 12, 2005.

1. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Well, I was just having a little Schroeder 1210 vs. EA Wizzy (just got it yesterday) shootout in my living room, and my faithful ol' PLX-3002 just totally crapped out. I was playing at a moderate volume (everything pretty much @ 12 o'clock) and had just adjusted the gain on my Glock pre very slightly, and then the power amp just suddenly went very quiet and fuzzy, with the clip light ping-ponging back and forth between the channels. (Just the red light was lighting -- none of the green lights.)

I experimented with parallel vs. single input, and no change. Still just quiet, fuzzy notes, with intermittent dropouts as it ping-ponged around. Turned it off for awhile, but no change when I tried again.

Confirmed that it is indeed the power amp, as another pre did the same thing through it, and the "sound" it's now making comes out the same from both cabs.

When it powers off, there is a VERY loud thump.

I had it much louder at my gig last night, of course (but nothing different than I've been doing for all the years I've had it). The Glock pre is new in the last couple months, but I can't believe that would kill it. When I first got the Glock I experimented a lot with the gain/volume, with no problems.

Got another gig tonight, so it looks like I need to piece a back-up rig together. :(

Any suggestions? Time to send it in for service?

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Yes, send it in for service. Call 1-800 QSC AUDIO with your name, shipping address, phone number, and the serial number. If you need a box to ship it in, let us know and we'll send you one for free. You're in Sacramento and we're a few hundred miles south in Costa Mesa, and we have pretty quick turnaround.

3. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Thanks, Bob. :) I'm calling them today. Nice to hear the turnaround is quick!

Sean Mc

4. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Sorry to hear about your amp troubles. As a fellow QSC power amp owner I'd be very interested to find out what the problem is. I'm sure all the other QSC users feel the same way. Please keep us updated. Thanks and good luck.

5. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Did you get a chance to compare the cabs at all? I have a wizzy and I'm thinking of picking up a Shcroeder at some point.

6. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Thanks! Very kind of you. I'll post again when I get news.

Not really. :meh: I had about 60 seconds worth of A/B testing before the amp died, so I don't want to comment yet. I'll post some comments when I'm powered back up again, though.

7. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Just got off the phone with QSC (no wait, which was nice). They said they're running about 10 days turnaround time, and the guy said "3-4 weeks max" including shipping, just to be conservative. I'm hoping two weeks max!

8. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Well, it's been four weeks since QSC received the amp, which is the outside of what I was quoted in terms of time, and I hadn't heard a peep from them. A follow-up call, and I got a hold of someone who said they would be looking at it "in the next couple days".

It's frustrating when manufacturers are so far off on their estimates, and of course don't seem to have any system in place to notify you of them being late. It doesn't really make me feel wanted as a customer, that's for sure.

As a result of them keeping my amp for so long, I've had a chance to try out some other amps on gigs and rehearsals. So far, a Crown MT-1200 and an old Hafler PRO 2400... it's been interesting, because the Crown just killed in a venue I've played for many years, where the QSC was always straining a bit. I can't wait to get the QSC back to do some A/B tests.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    We're sorry that it's taken longer than was mentioned to you. We had the flu come through here and in the past month we had some service techs and engineers out sick because of it. That's put us behind schedule but we're working hard and have even contracted with some temporary service help to clear it out. Our goal is to get back to the 1–2 day turnaround that we have usually had, but it'll take months, at least, to get back to that.

10. Hey guys, this is an Honest Answer. Be glad we have Bob Lee here, cuz he tells the straight story. Sick techs make for poor repairs. Be glad that QSC is holding off until the health comes back.

Illness can strike anywhere, and does so regulary. My daughter's lead guitar player came down with strep, and they have shows to do. The fastest cure: a shot in the butt with Zithromax.

11. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Cheers to Bob and the QSC crew.

PTB, hope you get your amp troubles sorted otu well!

12. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Thanks, mate. :)

I'm thankful for Bob Lee's direct input as well (thanks, Bob). While I of course want my amp back as soon as possible, I understand things happen to even the best of us, and I really have no problem with the time it takes. The important thing is to get it done right.

I guess my main complaint is both the unrealistic estimate to start with, and (especially) the lack of follow-up. I know it's not entirely unusual these days, but I still think it's too bad, because there's really no excuse not to keep customers informed.

Ah well, I look forward to getting it back soon!

PTB

13. Keep a spare power amp.

If your rig is so vital it cannot be down, then spares are required. This includes spare strings, cords, preamps, and basses.

Lack of planning on your part, is not an emergency on QSC's part.

14. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Huh? Are you kidding?? :) I've got spare EVERYTHING, and that's how I've kept gigging. (I mentioned the TWO other spare power amps above, by the way -- plus I have combo heads as back-ups too.)

And like I also said above, I'm not really concerned about the time -- it's the poor communication I take exception too.

So, no problem planning, and no emergency either. :)

15. I see you and I are both in Sacramento.

Having spent my life working in large corporations, I know that none of them are staffed sufficiently to provide phone calls or written notice to customers that their equipment is going to be delayed due to illness. Maintaining that level of (non-technical) staffing would drive the price of repairs through the roof.

I have no doubt the protracted absence of techs due to flu was equally unanticipated. Out for a day, then out for two days, then three. By the time it becomes really obvious there is a serious backlog of work, some of the techs are getting well and coming back to work.

The only way to achieve customer satisfaction is by driving the deal yourself. It costs little for the customer to call QSC and get an ETA. It costs a mountain for QSC to call every customer and notify them of the delay. I, for one, am willing to save the substantial costs, and make my own call to QSC.

I am especially happy at being able to call QSC here in the States, instead of having to speak to some unintelligible moron in Bangalore.

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    So how did that 4 ohm mini-might cab shootout go?

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Ironically, because of the reported flu vaccine shortage at the time, this past fall was the first time QSC didn't offer low-cost flu shots to employees and their families.

I was out with the flu myself for a couple days early last month, and I'm hardly ever out sick for even two days in a year, let alone two days in a row. ;)

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    So you California guys have to worry about the flu, too, eh? And here I thought it was just an upper midwest thang... :p

19. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA

Greetings from a fellow Sac-town man! :)

First of all, I want to make it clear I'm not slamming QSC here. My complaint is really pretty minor. But I still think it's valid, nonetheless. I understand your point about increased costs, and of course we as customers can't have it all, with both low prices and stellar customer service. But I disagree that small measures can cost mountains. In the early 90's I worked for a music company in a tech support capacity, and even back then it was pretty easy to keep a database of customers, returns, repairs, etc. In fact, good record-keeping actually saved money by increasing efficiency, as you might imagine. In the event of an unexpected backlog, it was no big deal to print a report of repairs and expected completion dates, and simply call the affected customers to let them know. Yes, it meant a couple hours on the phone. But it made for happy customers, and that's what makes money in the long run.

Nowadays, with e-mail, simply sending out a notice to all customers currently awaiting repairs informing them of the delay would be extremely simple and cost-effective. It's not personalized to each customer, but at least they are all informed. And the time spent doing that would provide relief from the much greater amount of time answering phone calls from all the customers who are wondering why their repairs are taking so much longer than promised. So, a little time spent would save a lot of time -- again, saving money.

I understand where you're coming from. But philosophically I think it's kind of sad if we as customers expect to not get good service and are perfectly fine with that. (Again, I want to emphasize I'm NOT talking about QSC here -- this is just speaking in general, philosophical terms.)

That's cool, but I think it's important to recognize that you are also paying for the cost of those calls. It doesn't matter who calls whom -- we still pay for it!. This is perhaps over-simplified, but I personally would rather pay for a couple e-mails than for a multitude of customer calls.

Ah, back to fun stuff! :) Thanks, Tom. I'll have to post more in another thread sometime soon, as I have been trying both in a variety of situations... but suffice it to say, I absolutely LOVE the Wizzy. (Well, actually it's "Wizzies" now... ;) )

20. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Actually, I think we get it from you -- the flu is second only to soy beans in California's imports from the Midwest. :p

(Some folks think we ought to switch the two: more flu, less soy!)