Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did Newstead use a pick on my friend os misery?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ahhelpme, Aug 31, 2004.

1. ahhelpme

ahhelpme

Aug 26, 2004
    The title says it all, did jason newstead use a pick in My Friend Of Misery, I think that he is using a pick and running with his index and ring finger. you have to be pretty skilled to do that!

2. In the Cunning Stunts video he plays the whole song with a pick. I have yet to see him not use one.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Same for Live Sh*t: Binge and Purge. He does a easy slap lick, but everything else is pick including My Friend of Misery.

4. As far as I know, Jason always plays with a pick.

5. For what it's worth, he plays fingerstyle in the first part of the "One" video, but since you can't hear him, it's pretty hard to tell if he actually did on the record.

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    He also played fingerstyle in the 'Nothing Else Matters' video, on an acoustic fretless, but I'm not sure if that's what he did on the recording.

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

7. I consider myself to be a pretty well rounded and accomplished bassist, but honestly, if I toured with Metallica tomorrow, Id use a pick, my fingers are plenty fast, but for me to co-incide with James' awesome rhythm style, his often off-beat machine gun staccato lines....combined with Lars and the ever present double kick, yeah, Id use the pick to be sure I stayed accurate to the "click", for lack of a better word. I damn sure wont criticize Jason for his methods....hahaha....after all, are we singing to an audience or to the choir?