1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

did not notice d, g string weakness on stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hambone1, Apr 30, 2009.

1. hambone1

hambone1

Sep 13, 2006
    I just played a stingray 3 band eQ. I did not really notice the weakness of the g string or the d. This ray had the pickup tilted on the d, g side that might be why.

I want (and can only afford : ) ) a single H ray and was glad that the g string prob. did not seem so terrible. What are you guys experience with this "problem"? Would it keep you from getting a ray?

Thanks alot.

villis likes this.
  2. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    I realised the same thing about the g string after 9 years or so of playing with my ray. then it started to really bug me and she got sold today. a part of me didnt want to sell it because it was my main bass for a long time. it's one of the best mass production bass I ever heard and play (preferred it on an alembic epic) but now I have a handmade bass and I know I wont be using it anymore so she had to go.

3. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    I've got a 5HH and I can make my "G" as prominent as I want. The trick? Proper EQ'ing.

4. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I've never really though that my Ray's G string was any quieter than the others. On the other hand, I have noticed that the overall tone of the Ray tends to make the higher notes (i.e. G string) blend in to the mix a bit more than the lower notes. I suspect this may be a factor in this persistant (imho) myth.

villis likes this.
  5. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    It's not a myth. Sterling Ball acknowledged the thin sounding g string characteristic several years ago on the EB forum. He said it was a characteristic of the preamp, and that he criticized it early on (when Leo was in the process of designing the Ray presumably). He said flats will help.

6. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    do many guys want to play with flats on their ray though? I know I dont...

7. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    NO KIDDING!
    That's like the military adage - destroying a city to save it.

8. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    That's interesting. Never heard that about the Stingray.
    I played a Modulus Flea bass for 2 years and got rid of it for that same problem. I tried everything (raise G side of pickup, heavier gauge D and G strings, replaced the pickup, amps settings ...).
    That bass was way too thin/weak sounding on the D and G strings when I played with a pick. It was ok when I played with fingers but more than half the songs my cover band plays are pick songs.
    The Flea bass is just Modulus' version of the Stingray.

9. I thought it was Sterling's pop's who was prominent in the Fender-era...:confused:

Also, if he thought it was such a flaw, why wouldn't he correct where Leo messed up? :ninja:

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    But hang on there....the StingRay 2 band preamp is different than the 3 band preamp. And most of the folks I see on TB complaining of it are with 3 band basses.

I think it's all in the eq'ing folks do on their amps. Over 25 Musicmans come through, and never experienced a weak G.

villis likes this.
  11. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I have owned 2 Sterlings and an SR5 in the past that had this problem.Wound up putting an aftermarket pickup in them,and the problem disappeared. My current Sterlings(5) don't have that issue.

12. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I don't doubt that people have had this experience. I can only say that I've had a boatload of Stingrays and have never had a "weak" G string, so there must be some random thing going on.

I mean, I mostly play fivers so have owned way more SR5s and Bongo 5s than Stingrays, but I have had a fair sample.

My rule would be something like:

- if you don't hear it, it isn't there, and
    - if you worry about it, buy a Bongo.

Jack

villis likes this.
  13. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I can't wait to hear what that preamp is going to sound like on the Big Al.

14. I've never heard this problem with either of my 'rays.

Though if I did, I'd try a pickup swap, then a preamp swap aswell (though it wouldnt be a cheap ordeal!).

-Holy War, Flat's on a SR can sound awesome, got flats on my fretless, gorgeous and still has that zing :)

villis likes this.
  15. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    My 1999 Sterling had a weak G string but my newer 2007 Strling is fine.

16. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Ernie was a contemporary of Leo but it was Sterling who worked as a beta-tester for Leo on the Stingray.

I think maybe he is more respectful of Leo's legacy than people think.

Regarding the flats on a Stingray, that's what I always do so anything I say should be regarded with a great deal of skepticism.

But my tone do rock.

Jack

17. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    i definitly notice my d and g strings getting lost in the mix once and while. which is a big departure from my hollow body which the d and g stand out of the mix.. or my Pbass the d and g sit right in the mix..

i'm covered from all angles i guess..

18. ToddGia

ToddGia

Aug 24, 2008
    The Flea bass is just Modulus' version of the Stingray.[/QUOTE]

I have 2 stingrays and a modulus flea . With the prices of a new stingray up to 1600 -1700 , I dont know why anyone would not atleast consider the modulus for a couple hundred more .

19. villis

villis

Mar 20, 2012
    Greece (Xanthi)
    i have not this problem with my sr 5 1989! and i have the pup in the g string in the same height with b when i measure the distance between pup and string holding the string in 12 fret down!

20. txpitdog

txpitdog

Jan 1, 2006
    I haven't noticed any weakness with my 99 Stingray 3-band either but I don't really consider my ears to be "musician's ears" yet. My pickup isn't tilted and the A and D poles are slightly raised. My EQ is at bass 80%, mid 60%, treb 70% on the bass and bass 60%, mid 70%, treb 50% on the amp.