1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did original SVTs use PTP wiring or PCBs or both?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skel, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I'm not sure what year the first SVT came out - I guess in the early 70's. Did these use PTP wiring? I assume at some point they changed to PCB. Anybody know what year they changed (if they did). Also, how many companies owned Ampeg before SLM? I've heard about Magnavox, and one other company that I can't remember at the moment.

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    SVT's always used PCBs.

The SVT was introduced in 1969 and IIRC Unimusic bought the Ampeg brand name in 1967, Selmer/Magnavox in 1971, MTI in 1980, SLM in 1986 & Loud Music Inc in 2005.

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    You mean SLM doesn't own Ampeg anymore? Wow. I didn't know that.

4. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
  5. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ya learn something new everyday. I guess they bought the whole ball of was, including Crate. These amp companies sure seem to change hands a lot.

6. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    So, does that mean that Ampeg and Crate will be treated by the same hands? If so, does that lessen the quality of Ampeg or raise the bar for Crate?

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Probabally neither. But the new Ampeg heads look pretty good to me.

8. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I know this may sound crazy, but I don't know why Crate gets such a bad rap anyway. Have you guys ever seen a Blue Voodoo? This is a smokin' amp! Usually when there is a take over, the actual people making the amps stays the same, and I personally think Ampeg and Crate are both very good products, but I'm sure the cream of the crop people are working on the Ampeg stuff.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So now Mackie owns Crate who owns Ampeg? Pwned.

I know, I know, Loud owns Mackie and EAW, now Ampeg.

Did you know that Harman International owns:

Harman-Kardon
    JBL
    dbx
    AKG
    Crown
    Lexicon
    BSS
    Soundcraft
    Digitech
    DOD
    Infinity

... and many others?

10. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yea - I knew *some* of this about Harman international. So did SLM just dissolve then?

11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    About the Crate thing- I have a Crate combo I use for practice. Sounds fine and does the job; nothing special. I would not use anything Crate for anything but practice. My guitarist owns a Blue Voodoo. Sounds completely awesome! Crate is known for the guitar amps, not the bass amps at all. There was a used Crate bass head at GC, it was the worst sounding POS I have ever used. Well, maybe better than Berhinger :bag:

12. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yea, I wasn't saying that Crate was up there as a high end bass amp, just that they aren't a joke like some people think, at least that's what I think. I'd take one in a second.