Did Pink Floyd's bassist play a fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by weeding, Jul 18, 2005.

1. weeding

May 17, 2005
    As I swear that some of the notes he achieves in comfortably numb could only be played on a fretless... Is this just me, or did he? :help:
  2. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    maybe he did for a couple of songs, but i'm pretty sure he mainly used a fretted jazz.
  3. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Don't you mean "Hey you"?

4. They used a fretless for "Hey You", yes, but I think it was not their bassist (Roger Waters), who played it, but their guitar player (David Gilmour). A fantastic song, no doubt about it.
    Oh, I believe Roger Waters played (plays) a Fender Precision most of the time, I'm not sure about the Jazz thing.. Guy Pratt played a Spector, a Fender Prezz. and a Status S-2 at the P.U.L.S.E. concert, however.
  5. Roger Waters plays a Precision. For most of his career in Pink Floyd he played the one featured here : http://fender.demonweb.co.uk/fenderfiles/TheTenMostWantedFenderBasses.asp

But up until 1968 he used a Ric 4001S.

I just noticed that the Fender site has a "typo". It says he used a Pbass, which is correct, but then it refers to it as a Jazz. I am near positive that he used a Pbass on everything after 68.
  6. I can hear nothing onj"Numb" that sounds remotely "fretless" to me. :confused: :confused:

Which part of the song are you talking about?
  7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I have a cool old dvd of them where he's playing a black P (Roger). I don't know much about the video actually but I think it's from 1970. It looks like they're 'practicing' for the Pompeii show. There's no crowd and they're in a big empty theatre or something. Waters does the whole gong thing and breaks the mallet at one point - he keeps hitting it with the broken stick for a while until he finally gives up, pretty funny. When I saw the In The Flesh tour he was also playing a black P.
  8. Yes, Roger also used a black precision at this year's live8 concert, right?
  9. Listen to "On the turning away" of Pink Floyd, he does use a fretless there or i am just crazy :)
  10. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    "On the Turning Away" is not Roger Waters on bass.

It may be a fretless on that song though
  11. Ok, well Im not really a fan of Pink Floyd, so i didnt know whether it was Roger Waters or not
  12. goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    David Gilmour played all the fretless tracks for the songs. Roger only played a fretted bass.
  13. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    In "Pink Floyd Live at Pompei" Roger plays a sunburst P-bass w/RW board, and they're not "practicing", that's the show. They're playing in an ampitheatre to no one. By the mid 70s he had switched to black P-basses w/maple board.
  14. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    No, I've seen the Pompeii movie ;) This is different and I think earlier (it's not an official release that I know of) The only similarity really is the gong deal and the lack of an audience - it could be in a really big studio for all I know. The music is amazing and very 'out there'.
  15. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Waters also has a kubicki
  16. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    I believe he meant "Hey You".
  17. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Tony Levin played bass for "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" throughout, as well as Chapman stick, and yes, it's a fretless bass on "On the Turning Away." I'm pretty sure they hired Tony back for "Division Bell" and not Guy Pratt, too.

A couple of years ago someone asked David Gilmour about the fretless on "Hey You" and his response was, "Roger? Play fretless?"

Apparently Gilmour tuned Roger's bass for him for years, although that didn't stop Roger Waters from laying down some good lines.
  18. David Gilmour has laid claim to many of the Floyd basslines, especially from DSOTM onward, and Roger has claimed them as his own.
  19. Mmmzactly!

There was a great doco on the telly over here which I got a tape of and its called Classic Rock Albums: The Making Of Dark Side of the Moon.

Wonderful stuff - shows how they recorded the entire album. On this show, Dave Gilmour reckons he played every bass line on the record and then had to go teach Roger Waters how to play them live :D

Roger, obviously, was not available for comment.....
  20. bigcatJC

Jul 9, 2004
    Sorry to hijack the Pink Floyd thread, btw. I think most folks value Roger Waters as a songwriter rather than a bass player anyway. Still a solid groove player. And I'd take anything Waters and Gilmour say about each other with a HUGE grain of salt. Too much bad blood for the complete truth to come out.
    rickwebb likes this.