Did Primus do a version of Black Sabbath's NIB with ozzy?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Someone just sent me NIB by Black Sabbath, but it's actually Primus with Ozzy Osbourne. The bass sounds like Muse meets Black Sabbath, and it doesn;t work, IMO. Has anyone else heard this track?
  2. Yeah, a few years ago it was a pretty big radio hit. It's alright.
  3. It aint as good as the original, not by a LONG way.
  4. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    It was on a Black Sabbath tribute album.

I actually thought it was an awesome cover. Les' take on the song was really cool.
  5. Nah, sorry but Geezer Butler's line was better. And his tone was better too, IMO.
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  7. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    It's on the second nativity in black.
  8. What is with those stuttering notes at the start?
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Claypool is a terrible soloist in my opinion, I don't dig his stutter solos either Nick. But at the same time, they really made the song a whole lot better (just because of the production), but once again, my opinion.

I would love to hear the original Sabbath lineup in their prime brought into a modern studio via time machine. It would be the best recorded music ever. I would give up on music, because it wouldn't get any better than that.
  10. I have to say, Geezer Butler is one of the best bassists ever. He is very tasteful with his lines. He was also one of the first to really let rip on a bass. if you listen to someo f the guitar solos, the bass is playing at the same speed as the guitar and everything. It's awesome.
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh yeah, Geezer was the man... his tone was very... farty though... :meh:
  12. I really that's because he played bass back in the day.

They didn't have all these new fanggled tone pre amp thinger jiggers.
  13. guitar cabinets :confused:
  14. He used a Gibson EBO to great effect on the first album. I actually like its dull, depressing tone. Suits the music very well.
  15. I seem to remember an interview or something that said he used a cheap, beat to hell pawnshop P-Bass for all the early Sabbath records. I think he pawned it when he needed money and never got it back.
  16. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    When I conviced my band to do this song. I decided to do the Primus bass solo intro. I'm not a 5 string player so I transcribe it an octave up and use a sub octave effect to take it down.

I ended up sticking with the original Geezer solo as everyone, myself included, likes it better :)

It's a fun song on bass as I get to do a cool solo AND tap dance accross my effects as the bass line incorperates distortion, phase shifiting, envelope filtering!

I recently picked up the new Black Sabbath box set and "bassically" has been replaced with another bass solo: is nothing sacred ?!?
  17. No-one can touch Geezer Butler's lines, he applies them perfectly to the song. He's one of the best bassist ever, IMO.
  18. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That's why it's called a "cover" tune.
  19. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I actually prefer the Primus version... there's just somethign I find magical about Les, I know he aint the greatest but he really got me into bass and theres just somehting about him and his lines and all...not to take anything away from Mr. Buttler though.