1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did Refused's bass player quit the band after they finished their last album?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Apr 18, 2006.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I recently came across the "New Noise" video on Youtube (I never watched it all the way through when it was new because I couldn't handle their sound yet back then) and couldn't help noticing that the video made it look as if they didn't have a bass player:
    in the video, the band consisted of their singer, drummer and two guitarists.
    I also sometimes see pictures of them that show five band members and sometimes I'll come across pictures that show four band members. Was their bass player the first to jump ship before they eventually disbanded? If yes, did he play on "The shape of punk to come"?

2. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Their video for "Rather Be Dead" (from their first album) is worth checking out. That shows a bass player and the rest of the members. If I am not mistaking, the bassist is one of the last to "die?" in the video.

3. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    they didnt have a bass player at the time that SOPTC was recorded, a couple different people covered the bass duties. the credits are in the liner notes of the cd id have to look at it.

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Oh, I see. I really need to get hold of that CD. For some reason I love most of the bass lines, nothing flashy but great tone.

5. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    yeah that record blew my mind. its a classic.

6. i loved refused.

they could be seen as an almost prophetic punk band... too bad nation of ulysses did all that in the 80's.

that aside, i still loved them.

7. Sprudellio

Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002
    Germany
    They really had a great bass tone on their last album. Does anyone know what kind of gear they used?

8. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Sounds like a P played with a pick to me, maybe a bit of distortion (might very well have been coming from the amp), not too sure about the rest. I'd like to know how they got the mean wah tone on the first track.