1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did someone "steal" this 63 Jazz or are pots worth that much?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
  2. Basdyret

Basdyret A Dane in China

Aug 6, 2007
    Qingdao, China
    Not just pots - body refin as well, and that's the real value killer.

The seller did what he could to avoid stating that specifically, though, saying that all "components" except pots are original, meaning that the body finish isn't a component. Clever.

He does say that the body has been refined... that's quite another word than refinished, which is what he should have said.

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Yes I did not see that....... Thats why he worded it that way.

All is clear.

Aj

4. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Its a refin and that detracts from the value, although not as much as it did 20 years ago. A quality refin early 60s Fender is worth probably 75% of an all original these days. The low feedback sleazy seller, and lack of meaningful pics are the reason for the lower than average price.

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    dang, a refin 63 without the original pots for 6600? im glad i bought my 62 in 2000 when i did.

6. jaypbass

jaypbass

Jun 29, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I saw this bass a long time ago that was being sold by some one else..... the guy mentioned that it had been refinished and the pots had been replaced..... he wanted 4000 for it, i guess this guy bought it and thought he could could get away with it.... and he did..

7. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    That logo is wrong :meh:

8. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    That's because it's been refinished.

9. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    Um... Pardon my ignorance, but I thought the Jazz Bass as we know it now wasn't introduced until '68, and that had a stacked knob set that was replaced by the current configuration in '69?

I think we got us a shyster trying to pass off a relic.

10. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Jazzbass: from 1960 to 1967 the Jazzbass always used a "transistion" style logo. Switched to the thick "black" logo in 1968. Note Jbass never used a "spaghetti" style logo.

First introduced in 1960, this model had a narrow nut (1.5") compared to the Precision Bass. The most valuable models are the first two years with concentric (stacked) volume and tone knobs and felt tipped string mutes.

1963 Jbass specs:
    Mutes removed by mid 1963.
    1964 Jbass specs:

Pearl fingerboard dots replace "clay" dots, late 1964.
    Tortoise plastic three layer pickguard replaces celluloid, late 1964. Note the tortoise part of the pickguard is still celluloid, but the underlying 3 W/B/W layers are no longer celluloid. This is easy to tell; the black layer is MUCH thinner, which can be seen on the beveled pickguard edge.
    1965 Jbass specs:

Binding added to fingerboard in mid to late 1965.

1966 Jbass specs:
    White pearl block inlays replaces dots in mid 1966.
    Forward turning Kluson tuners started in mid to late 1966. Tuner button shape changes to oval shaped buttons.
    1968 Jbass specs:

Black Fender decal.
    "F" style tuning gears replaces "no-name" Kluson gears. Tuner buttons are now "club" shaped.
    Polyester thick finish replaces nitrocellulose lacquer.
    1971 Jbass specs:

Maple fingerboard with black block markers becomes standard.

11. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    edit: What Sedan Dad said :)

12. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Yeah and its a shoddy job. It looks to be half on and there is no "Contoured Body" part of the decal...

13. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    How odd. Why would this bass be circulating like that?

14. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Its a different ebay ID than who bought it in the first auction.

Aj

15. The seller says "Without a doubt, the most beautiful and playable guitar I've ever known..."

Yeah, if I'd found "the one" I would sell it too. :rolleyes:
    I'm surprised he didn't throw in the wife excuse either.

16. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    sent him a msg pointing out the refined thing...let's see if he fixes it...

shawn

17. Yup, quite odd :eyebrow:

Winning bidder: kidtwist99

New seller:
    Seller: haigh1968

Original seller also has a feedback comment from 'kidtwist99' saying 'just playing it now' so it's either an elaborate scam or haigh1968 is trying to sell something that he does not own.

18. I'm not gonna hold my breath. He should have put "refin", not refine.

19. rschuh

rschuh Banned

Jan 25, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ

Bizarre Guitar here in Phoenix has a MINT, 63 Jazz bass that they are selling for $6800.00 because it was a refinish. It's a sunburst, but the bass looks, feels and sounds amazing. For a player, it is a KILLER axe. The collector holes ruin every instrument out there for players. It is as bad, if not worse in the drum world. Little 3 piece Gretsch Jazz kits from the 60s are selling for $6000.00 and up and old K Ziljdian cymbals are selling for $1500-3000.00. The good thing about drums at least is that the new top end stuff is far better feeling and sounding than the old crap.

Rob