Did switching to multi scale affect the sound of your vibrato?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cut the middle, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Cut the middle

Cut the middle

Apr 17, 2020
    Just wonderin'.

2. In some situations it’s more difficult, in others it’s actually easier

yes it can be more difficult. Oddly enough it’s not more difficult because of the angled frets. How far you bend the string along the fret when using vibrato is actually A relatively small area. I think it’s really more so because of the string tension differences. The low E and B strings in particular on my Dingwall for example are noticeably tighter feeling than 34” my fender jazz 5. I guess you could just use a low tension set of strings to help if that’s a big issue. Personally I like the high tension. It helps me from accidentally bending notes sharp when I’m into it onstage and putting on a show and feels great for my plucking hand. The g string actually feels the same as any 34” bass as it is 34” scale. The a and d strings feel more similar to a 35” scale bass.

In the middle of the neck where the strings are easiet to bend the frets on a multiscale are straighter anyways. So that also pretty much feels the same.

One of the benefits as far as playing with vibrato on a multiscale is that the string tension is more consistent feeling from string to string. So that can actually be helpful to avoid overdoing it if you’re doing vibrato on a lower string.

I played standard basses for 26 years before getting a multiscale. Personally I love mine. the one area where i think it’s more difficult is playing chords/double stops Or complicated solos above the 12 fret. It’s definitely not impossible. People do it. But some things require different fingerings and certain things can be more difficult. For Example playing double stop tenths way way up the neck where the frets are angled the other direction I have to use some different fingerings to play certain things because you can only turn you’re hand so much before the neck blocks you from turning it more. Again though the middle of the neck the frets are more straight so there it’s not an issue at all, and lower down if anything the angle of the frets helps imo. Something I would advise if you’re going to be playing way up the neck a lot on a multiscale is to get used to playing the bass with your strap adjusted so you can look down the upper frets. Makes it a lot easier than having the bass hanging really low because then you can’t see between the upper frets and they all just look like they blend together

3. Cut the middle

Cut the middle

Apr 17, 2020
    Thank you for the thoughtful response!

Nephilymbass likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021