Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did SWR ever make a stand alone preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cgworkman, Jul 9, 2005.

1. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Did SWR ever make a stand alone preamp other than the IOD? If so, what and where?

Thanks in advance!

2. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    SWR made the bass preamp the Groove Tubes used to sell about 10 years ago or so, it's quite versatile and you can find them used on E-Bay rather easily.

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Steve Rabe designed the A.M.P. SL-1 IIRC. It was the pre-amp section of the A.M.P. amps (BH-260 and BH-420), and also offered as a seperate pre-amp.

The Mo' Bass pre-amps (the old Mo' Bass and the current Mini Mo'). It's a pre-amp with a bunch of effects. I believe the Mo' Bass had a power amp, but the Mini Mo' does not (someone feel free to tell me I'm wrong).

The Grand Prix was their first "pre-amp only" at SWR.

SWR then manufactured the GT Pre-amp (Pre section of the Studio 220) for GT Electronics.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  5. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I'm sorry, I guess I should have said 'solid state preamps.' Sorry...:rolleyes:

Are any of these listed SS?

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I believe the Grand Prix is SS.

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No, it had a tube.

8. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The A.M.P. is all solid-state, and as I mentioned earlier, the SL-1 was designed by Steve Rabe himself.

It's not SWR, but it was by the same guy, it may be worth a spin if you can try one.

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've seen the preamp section of the Baby Blue combo in preamp form, I even believe someone here at TalkBass uses one occassionally.

When I play a small, private event type gig that requires low volume but still PA support, I use my Baby Blue II combo, and my regular soundman is always spouting off about how great the DI feed is off of it compared to my Eden Navigator I usually use with my big rig.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    actually eric, the unit i use as a preamp is the electric blue head. It is the head-only version of the baby blue combo, so it has a 150 watt 4 ohm minimum poweramp inside as well. I just use the line out and the effects send (which is the same as the line out if you don't use the effetcs loop) to run into my poweramp.

the baby/electric blue essentially has one of the semi-parametric tone banks of the sm-900, and no bass or treble shelving eq knobs. The grand prix (which has a tube) has two semi parametric bands (high mids and low mids) and bass and treble shelving controls, with a switch that turns the bass knob into a high pass filter that seems to be wired backwards so turning it up lowers the high pass "knee".

a warning. the swr DI outs sound good, but they are quite sensitive to having phantom power applied to them. TB's max valentino warned of having his baby blue fried completely by having phantom power applied to it. (if you go to the effects forum and search for "favorite di" you'll find a large thread that contains his experiences on all sorts of stuff.)

11. I have an old SWR Grand Prix - it definately has a tube on the input stage.

12. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    All right - maybe I'm missing something here...

I understand sending the preamp signal into an additional amp - but how can the unit run without cabs hooked to the SWR's built-in amp without burning it up? It was my understanding that an amp without a load will eventually burn itself up. :confused:

13. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    That only applies to tube power amp sections.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Perhaps so, but it's not mentioned on their site.

The Grand Prix was SWR's first foray (following the GT Preamp) into preamp only design and was considered state of the art in design and features for its time. 7 segment dot bar display, two band semi-parametric EQ, switchable high pass filter, side chain effects loop, effects blend control, tuner send, stereo headphone amp with separate volume control, balanced XLR record out with ground lift, pad and mute function, unbalanced line out (pre master), balanced XLR and unbalanced line outs, rack mountable.

15. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    All of SWR's "pro" line (i.e. not Workingman's. LA, etc.) have a single 12AX7 tube in the preamp section, that includes the Grand Prix.

SWR has never made a 100% solid state standalone preamp. The previously mentoned A.M.P. SL-1 is the closest thing, designed by Steve Rabe and similar features to the Groove Tubes preamp.