1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did the actions of musicians cause the music industry to become so constricted?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Feb 28, 2016.

1. In the old days, musicians would trash hotel rooms & trash rental vehicles with wild abandon.

The record label were probably pissed off, but fronted the money to fix the situation just to get the record out. They could see there was more money in it down the road.

I have worked with some guys who went the rock star route & would empty the hotel bar when they were on location & expect their employer to pay.

Eventually the record makers realized it was time to charge back these crazy expenses to the musician.

2. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    That was during the time before the Internet and the phrase "No news is bad news".

Who knows, maybe the record companies told the musicians to trash hotel rooms to generate publicity in order to get slow ticket sales moving.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    That money always came out of the artist's pay on the back end. I think when the artist started noticing that, a lot of the behavior was curtailed.

4. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Exactly--it always was charged to the musician--always.
    Maybe the record company paid for it up front--but it came out of what they paid the musicians.

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Seems to be a statement instead of a question.....

tbz, Fat Steve and wintremute like this.
  6. I'm just happy and embarrassed that I lived through the "trash the hotel room" era.

A phone call from the manager was standard-fare the next day. He was always not happy about it.

Oh well.

ZonieBass and Rocker949 like this.
  7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

My understanding was that the labels positively encouraged all the destructive behavior for the publicity, long long long before the internet.

Blue_Whistle88 and SirMjac28 like this.
  8. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Rock artist have been one upping each other since Elvis & Jerry Lee Lewis. Hendrix burned a beautiful strat on stage to up Townsends guitar smashing bravado.

Youth offers many indescretions in the rock arena. Hopefully most of us mature beyond the self serving image of self promotion as our talents improve and work on the music....

It was all pretty silly anyways, wasn't it?.... And yes I did a wee bit of it myself. These days I would hurt myself.

9. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Music became harder to market and the gravy train dried up. I think that has a lot to do with it.

SirMjac28 and Rocker949 like this.
  10. Thanks a lot napster.

Rocker949 likes this.
  11. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Napster made it possible for people to find out that there was only 2 good songs on a CD without spending the money.

I knew people that returned CDs after listening to the whole thing once because it was full of filler. Nirvana's Nevermind fell in that category.

12. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Everyone I knew listened to that CD from beginning to end over and over. Half of it ended up as singles on the radio.

13. I'll always remember when I bought Nevermind. It had just come out & I bought it in Amarillo Texas, put it in the player & didn't take it out until I reached Los Angeles.

14. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Many musicians have been their own worst enemy. Different catagories.... mistreatment of fellow bandmembers, audience, musical equipment, and a general misunderstanding of their craft.

TheCrimsonKing likes this.
  15. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    I thought this topic would be about Radiohead offering an album for pay what you want, or Pearl Jam rejecting shows sold through TicketMaster.

I don't think companies care about their artists' antics in the least.

16. Pharsalien

Pharsalien

Mar 6, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Technology brought forth the rock star. Technology taketh away the rock star.
    All hail Technology

17. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    As others have mentioned, the labels have always charged for everything.

Back in the day, before the market was so saturated, the big artists who did stuff like what you've mentioned were making so much money that a $10,000 bill for a trashed room literally meant nothing to them.

A record deal is essentially just a giant bank loan with terrible terms, which have only gotten worse due to a combination of corporate greed and ineptitude.

Its the Peter Principle in full effect.

A few years back I was touring with an artist signed to Warner Brothers, and we were playing to festival audiences of 5,000-40,000 before her record was even released; by the time the record was finally out (after having spent over $2 million in the recording process, essentially paying themselves and friends of theirs to work on it) the label execs decided to gut the touring and promotion budget, resulting in small club shows and meager album sales, which saw the artist get dropped shortly afterwards.

18. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on the Internet.

19. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    I have personal experience being through the industry mill. Majors always have and always will charge artists for literally everything. You should see the accounting statements. Paper clips, stamps, everything... I believe they still charge for breakage even though most everything is in MP3 format these days. Have you ever broken an MP3?

My advice: don't sign anything in relation to your publishing that contains the word "perpetuity".

Also, I don't think the music industry is constricted at all, quite the contrary, I believe the Internet made it more interesting and diverse. The major labels are in deep trouble, however, and won't sign anything that isn't a sure bet. Some labels are a just couple flops away from going under.

20. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I, for one, happy this time is over. It is supposed to be music, not starlette who are more show off than any musical substance.

We have access to more thing now. It gives us the chance to only get what we want pretty much like during the vinyl time. if I want, I can get the only good song on the CD ... We can also buy stuff that would never be avalaible in our country through normal means.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    Kustom_Thunder and blue4 like this.