Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did the buyer pay too much?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by purfektstranger, Dec 30, 2005.

1. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
  2. i'd say way too much. but i dont know anything that i'm talking about when it comes to vintage basses, but that still seems a pretty god d@^^* ridiculous price

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I don't think so, but I've been wrong before. Pre CBS Fenders are very popular and this one is in great shape.
    You should see the condition of some of the vintage pieces I've seen, and they go for many thousands. I've been told never refinish your bass or guitar. With the vintage ones, it knocks down the value.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive seen worse.

5. For a 1964 Fender in that good of condition? A little much, but a fair bargain I think. Now, if you're paying that much for a bass you've either got money to burn or are buying it as an investment. Because those things only go up in value.

6. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I'd say that was a decent price for that bass. It was in pretty good condition, and I've seen similar basses go for much higher.

7. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    +1

Jim

8. Either way, the thing will go up in price...

9. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    There a lot of people that can just fart up that amount without reservation, especially for a classic Icon.

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I would say he got a bargin. I've seen 64's go for over ten grand! That bass and the 62 are the "Holy Grail" of collectable basses. Let's put it this way, he will have NO TROUBLE turning it for more then he paid.

11. well with-in the boundries, of a fair market price. the '64 sunburst, all original, is valued at $7,000 to $9,000(us).
    i wish it was mine. :cool:

12. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    Fine price for the bass, I wish I had that kind of money to toss around on an investment like that.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've seen lesser basses marked at $10,000 - $12,000 at GC Hollywood. I wouldn't pay more than $500 for it, but that's just because it's old and probably sounds like crap.

14. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

Yea I actually have a 2 questions. Why do the vintage jazz basses cost more than the vintage P-basses?
    and do you think if I hold onto my '73 for a while It'd be a decent investment?

15. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    Not sure why the Jazz basses go for more, but I'm shocked how much the value of my '64 precision has gone up over the last few years. I'm just going by the appraisal of one vintage guitar store, but they are saying over $5000 for mine in the condition it's in. I paid $2500 for mine and it has the original case that's in amazing condition.

I would hold on to your precision if it is all original. Keep it if it has been modded over the years and you love to play it. Pre-cbs ('64 or before) is the magic number for collectors, but I'm seeing '65 - '70s go for a nice sum lately. I also have a '69 that has been repainted and the parts aren't all orginal so it's not worth that much except to me.

Here is mine. All original and spent most of it's life in a studio:

[​IMG]