Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did the Skyline 55-02 machine heads shrink?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bilbo Bassins, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Maybe I'm loosing my eyesight, but...

Are the machine heads on the newer Lakland Skyline 55-02's smaller, Hipshot Schaller-style (a la T, Gotoh) Knob Ultralites instead of the Hipshot Elephant Ear Knob Ultralites (I'm using the names from the Stewmac catalog: http://www.stewmac.com).

I was just brousing Bass Central again, looking at new 55-02's, and suddenly thought I saw a difference. The new pics only have a body and a full frontal shot, and lack the up-close head view. But I perceive a difference.

Looks like the 44-02's all have elephant ears.

Did this really happen or am I loosin' it? I thought the elephant ears were part of the Lakland look. The smaller tuners look terrible to me (I know, here we go into Subjectiveland again).

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I contacted Dan about a month ago about this. The 02 models had the gotoh style tuners. They went to the elephant hipshots the following year.

3. I should stop talking to myself in public... :rolleyes:

Just browsing over in the Bass DudePit and yup, they changed. But looks like you can order replacements from Dan.

Anybody get one with the Gotoh's yet? Anybody replace them yet?

I'm going to rainy FL next week to checkout some Laklands at BC. Thought I'd be prepared. This one would have shaken me...

4. Oh...the 02 models...OK, thanks!!