1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did the SVT-VR hit stores yet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andrew, Apr 9, 2006.

1. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    April was supposed to be the month these hit stores, has anyone seen/played through one at a store yet?

2. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    I was just fixing to post this same question! Where is it???

3. ETEcarmine

ETEcarmine

Jun 29, 2005
    NYC
    I spoke to an Ampeg rep on the phone last week. She said the first orders of the SVT-VR will be out at the end of this month and the second shipment will be out at the end of May.

I'm so psyched!

4. lavaman67

lavaman67 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I talked to Ampeg this morning and they are expecting them to ship to the stores later this month (May) or early next. Hopefully, they won't keep getting pushed back, but I do understand this is a big deal for them and hell, us too ;)

5. galore

galore

May 10, 2006
    EU
    Hey... Something for those of you (us) from Europe:

http://www.musik-produktiv.at/shop2/shop04.asp?artnr=100031792&sid=!18121995&quelle=volltext&such_inx=1139645

Damn, the price is really high :scowl: :eyebrow:

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    sorry for the ignorance, but what's the story on the "VR"?

7. lavaman67

lavaman67 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I just spoke with Ampeg a week or two ago and they have now said that it is going to be late June or July now! I hope they wait pays off.

To answer jokerjkny's question... the SVT-VR is aiming to as closely as possible recreate the early 70's SVT's. In addition to the 70’s style dials and rocker switches, the preamp is the probably the biggest difference. They don't make the 12DW7 preamp tubes anymore used in the early SVT, well as far as I know or least they aren't nearly or as readily available as they were in that time period. Ampeg had to use portion or halves of other tubes to recreate the 12DW7. I think it was a 12AX7 and a 12AU7? I am really not sure about that. I know they also significantly redesigned the circuitry as well. They tried to re-engineer the SVT-VR’s preamp circuitry to faithfully recreate the original as possible.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    wow,

sounds very cool. would love to a/b with a few other all tube favs of mine.

9. Whaaaapsh

Whaaaapsh

Apr 23, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I was just going to post about these too. They have one at Bassnw and a couple of the shop guys were playing it the last time I stopped in. It sounded great. I didn't actually get a chance to play it, but with the 4 inputs you can pull of the bi-amp thing (which I always loved about my old b25), and the thing looks like a ton of bricks.

The sticker they had on the back, if I remember correctly, had a price tag of 2600 or so, which is what the list price is, so I don't know what they actually go for.

I want one.

I just can't afford one.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    woah,

2600? hmm... i'd rather spend that on a sadowsky sa200, but dang, my interest is still piqued.

11. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Retail is supposed to be about $1899

12. What does this mean and how does this work?

13. they were in a recent issue on Music123 catalog but i have yet to she them for order on there website

14. Whaaaapsh

Whaaaapsh

Apr 23, 2006
    Portland, OR
    You take a short 1/4" cord and plug it into each of the channels, and then you instert the 1/4" from your bass into the other side of one of the channels (one is normal, the other bright).

I don't know how the channels are arranged on this new SVT, but doing this on the b25 allowed me to use each of the channels at 50w together, which probably approximated somewhere near 100W, but it didn't sound as loud as my v4.

I'm not a super-techie, so hopefully someone else can pick up this thread, or maybe it's already been addressed somewhere else on TB, I just haven't looked.

15. The reason I'm confused is that I thought bi-amping required two amps. :confused:

16. Whaaaapsh

Whaaaapsh

Apr 23, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Good point. It was explained to me using the term, but I guess it should be called bi-channelling? I don't know, you're using 2 sets of tubes together, and... the definition of a.... and if I just had a diagram, we could find that... err.

It makes things effing loud. I know that much.

17. OK. Yes, I unserstand now. I've heard of this before but have not done it.

18. pharaohamps

pharaohamps Commercial User

May 30, 2006
    Garner, NC
    Owner, Disaster Area Designs / Alexander Pedals
    A 12DW7 is a dissimilar dual triode, one half with an amplification factor of 100 (like a 12AX7) and the other with an amplification factor of 16 (like a 12AU7.) The original idea was that you could use the high-gain side for voltage amplification and the low-gain side for current amplification. A 12DW7 coupled with the right output transformer can deliver enough juice to drive a small speaker (think table radio or similar, not SVT cab...) Not popular these days since transistors are generally better at current amplification and are much cheaper.

Matt Farrow

19. This is referred to as "channel jumping". It was a little trick that guitarists used to do to get more overdrive out of their non-master volume Marshalls or Voxes...but it most definitely does NOT double the wattage of your amp.

You need to be careful what amp you do this with, and sometimes the channels will be out of phase with one another, causing phase cancellations. Or sometimes the channels have shared cathode components, which can cause the pre-amp to run unstable and sound bad. But all technical stuff aside, let your ears be the judge. I've never ben a fan of channel bridging, the only amps i've ever liked the results on were Hiwatt DR103's and 504's.

-Nick

20. DEFUNKTED

DEFUNKTED

May 4, 2006
    Dope City
    I heard the new VR will have a 8 ohm tap option as well...is this true?

So what do the 4 channels allow you to do?