Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

did they send me the wrong bass!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    check this link.

link

i orderd a sunset transparent orange fender american jazz bass.

mine looks really red in person. i would be upset but i actually wanted transparent red more but i didn't think they had one.

now i'm paranoid.......i hope they didn't send me the wrong model. it says made in the u.s.a. on it and it has an s-1 switch.....so there is no way it could be a standard or something.....right.....

2. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Looks good to me. Finish color can be tricky, comparing what you see on the web to what you see in real life.

3. Its the right colour, i have a Sunset Orange P-bass thats the same.

Excellnt finnish choice BTW.

4. Doesn't the sunset orange have a maple board or can you choose?

5. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i saw a transparent orange in a store a few days ago that looked nothing like mine.

only the american series have the s-1 switch right?????

i'm getting a lil paranoid.

don't get me wrong i love her and the way she looks.

6. There's a trans orange MIA J at a place here in town. Maple neck, and the color looks more...well..orange than that pic.

7. yes, only the American models have the S-1 switching system.

8. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Only the MIA have the S1 switch. Don't worry, they didn't send you a Squier. I mean, probably not.

1. Where did you buy it?
    2. WHat's the serial number?
    3. Show us a closeup of the headstock.

Pretty sure it's what you think it is.

9. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i got it off musician's freind.

the headstock says fender jazz bass made in america (i'm not sure what a standard jazz bass's head says).

if only the american series has an S-1 i'm fine (because mine does). i just got a lil paranoid thinking "well if they sent me the wrong color....what else could be wrong?".

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    What's the S-1 switch again?

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The S-1 switch switches the pickups between parallel and series...I think.

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

really? Cool.

Where is the switch located?

j

13. :eek:

Who cares if it's wrong? The thing looks sexier than a Christina video... the famous sound that is Fender Jazz... the series / parallel switch... the quality of an American Fender...

That thing absolutely rules!!!

:cool:

14. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Don't want to make you any more paranoid than you already are but make sure to check EVERYTHING. Is the warranty card there? Was the bass shipped in the original packaging? Does it look tampered with etc. I've dealt with musicians friend for multiple purchases and have had to return every single item they sent me. The last one was a Lakland 55-02. I ordered a new one and they sent me a refurbished model. It came in a half ass jimi rigged package, the warranty card was cut out and missing, the body was scratched and the rear plate gaurd was opened prior to getting it me. When I called them up they swore up and down it was a new item till I told them I wanted my money back. They then instantly dropped the price by a hundred bucks if I kept it. I would have sent it back regardless except it was thier last model aside from that cherry red color and Dan from lakland told me he would check it over and fix anything wrong free of charge and still honor the warranty based on my sales reciept (GREAT CS BTW). Mabe yours is ok, but please do a thorough check over. remember, you have a 45 day satisfaction guarantee, use it if need be. :spit:

EDIT: I've since used Music 123 exclusively and their products and CS have been perfect not to mention free shipping and no sales tax!.

15. I've had way better experiences with MF than 123, but my experiences with 123 weren't so bad as to swear them off. But that's a whole 'nuther thread.

As always, the guiding principles in every purchase are caveat emptor, and a fool and his money are soon parted.

BTW, MF also has free shipping (over $299) and no sales tax.

16. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Not with their amplifiers ;)

Yeah I know they don't charge sales tax to the majority of the states, but I live in Wa. and they insist that sales tax has to be charged here.
    I understand that everyone has different experiences with these on line companys but I am going on personal track record as to which MF as failed miserably.

17. ghetto911

ghetto911

Jan 28, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Umm, that bass really doesn't look orange at all. I wouldn't normally think the wrong color is a big deal if you don't mind the color, but isn't the ash-bodied orange jazz bass a $100 upcharge? I really hope you didn't get overcharged for yours, as you don't appear to have a bass that warrants a $100 price increase.

Hey Bimplizkit, how are you liking the cold? I'm in Spokane, too. It was so cold Monday that my windshield cracked in half.

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You push the centre of the bridge pickup volume knob in. It's hard to notice from most distances except right up close, and you can see a seam. Push it in, and push it in again and it'll come back to where it was before. I don't know which one is default though...

19. The cold? Well, let's just say the heating bill is going to be scary this month. :meh:

Windshield? Yup.. the front windshield in my truck has cracked from the cold as well.

Winter can be a biatch. Good time to stay indoors with family, watch movies, & play music. :)

20. I've seen Transparent Orange finishes side by side and they can vary from orange to the red as seen in the first link. That's Fender Quality Control for you...