Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

did this bass really exist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j-bass-kreep, Mar 24, 2004.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Yup! John Paul Jones played one (I've seen a photo of him with one)

2. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Yep, those were made in the mid '60s, and the fifth string is actually a high C rather than a low B like modern 5'ers. In the Standing in the Shadows of Motown book, they show Jamerson's Bass V, whih is the only electric of his that is currently accounted for. JJ, jr. is in posession of it I believe.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You don't see many of those old Fender 5s anymore. I might have to get down to CMI this weekend to try it out...just so I can say I've played one! :D :bassist:

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I saw two in stores in London on Denmark street earlier this month. They're much bigger than I thought.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    They were CBS era basses.

Because of the higher string they have shorter fretboards! So while you get the high C you don't actually have an extended range because there are fewer frets :rolleyes: That is also why the body is a lot longer than other Fenders.

What were they thinking????

6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I've actually been to that store and they always seem to have one or more of those basses around along with the other failed fender experiments like the coronado. I played one and was not overly impressed, but it didn't sound bad at all. If anyone visits chicago, they should definately check out the dealer that was selling them, Chicago Music Exchange. (you can see some of their best stuff at www.chicagomusicexchange.com) They have what is probably the best collection of vintage basses(I gave up trying to count) almost all by major american manufacturers (fender, ric, gibson) that I have ever seen in one place. Not the place for a bargain, but enough to make me drool for weeks.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I remember seeing the old Fender V in a local music store back in the 1970's. I think it had a 15 fret fingerboard. :spit:

8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    [​IMG]

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I've play one that was a late 1960's Fender V... It was strung EADGC, it had 15 frets, was 32 inch scale and had an oversized Mustang/BulletBass-like body IIRC.

Neat little vintage rarity, there have been some showing up on eBay from time to time...

I heard it was designed for the 'reading' bassists (or recently converted guitarists) so they could play up the strings instead of up the fingerboard. This would allow the player could keep his/her hand positioned within a closer proximity so the bassist could keep his/her eyes on the page.

10. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    :eek: It's been a long time since I've seen one of those,not a bad price really. -Luke