1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did this neck have work done?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Johnny Alien, Mar 22, 2009.

1. I was communicating with someone about buying a bass and I asked them to remove the neck and take a photo for me to date it. When they sent me the photos the truss rod nut it looked deep in and that coupled with teh photo attached below makes me think there may have been some work done. Take a look. Is that hole normal or does it look like someone routed in to do some work?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Skip it. This has been repaired. One has to wonder why and what caused the failure...

Should look like this:
    IMG_0086.

3. Thanks that is what I thought. This is a 1983 Fender Reissue neck and I have one currently that does not have that route. In addition the sticker is missing which makes me wonder about authenticity although the rest of it looks correct. Here is a photo of the neck heel. It is blurry so hard to tell but it sure looks like the truss rod nut is buried in there super deep.

Edited to add: In fact looking more at this it almost looks like there is no truss rod nut on there at all.

Attached Files:

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    When folks send a blurry photo, that always a "red flag" for me. There's no excuse for it, except to hide something.

On my 62RI jazz (early 90's edition) the truss rod nut is in about 1/8". In the photo you've posted it seems as though the truss rod nut is not even there.

And I don't have a clue what that extra route is... definitely not standard.

5. vejesse

vejesse

Apr 8, 2006
    Madison, Wi
    Double Bass Workshop
    It looks the the threads got mangled or the end of the rod broke. If the neck adjusts evidently the repair worked and maybe there's no reason to avoid the bass. Don't pay full price - See if you can get the bass for cheap.