Did you all see the article on the Mudvayne bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by russ_4ft, Mar 11, 2001.

1. In bass magazine? I reckon it's well good that he's getting coverage because for someone to adapt that style to the type of music is real good.
  2. Yea, I've read that. Great stuff. I'm glad he's in there! Also, if you look on the warwick advertisement on the inside back cover, you will now see him featured as a user.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Moved to "bassists"

Will C.:cool:
  4. Actually, I'm surprised how much he knew about music, including history and technique. I thought he would be a big dumbass monkey.
  5. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I didnt get to see the article::sighs:: But the Ryknow is an incredible bassist for such a heavy band. No simple following of the root notes with him. If you listen to him, you see that he is more then just anouther new metal bassist banging on the strings just because feildy does it. This guy actually know's what he's doing.
  6. as far as musical knowledge goes i'm a big dumbass monkey too but i can kick out a wicked bassline that you'd all be happy with, The gift of sound/ear i guess!
  7. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Did any of you know that he never took any kind of lessons at all?

Thats pretty damn cool.
  8. how'd he learn to play like this.. and learn diff styles? ear?
  9. I didn't mean "big dumbass animal" because I thought he didn't know any theory, I thought he would be dumb, period. :D
    He's not though, and I was intrigued on how he used classical fingering for his basslines, pretty interesting stuff.
  10. Gel

Mar 26, 2000
    Tauranga, New-Zeland
    You have to realise that basically every rock star say they have never taken lessons at all. That's taking the 'payed proffesional teacher' into account.
  11. And that bit about using theater in music, I think that was dead-on. I mean, just look at ICP, Limp-Bizkit, KoRn, and Bloodhound Gang.
  12. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    he got coverage because his band is getting very popular. it was merely coincidence that he knows some technique and history. :D ;)
  13. WordIsBorn79

Jan 10, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Surprizingly, when I saw the "Dig" video, he looked like Darth Maul! I must say, though, he is quite talented. Listen to "Internal Primates Forever", he goes nuts!
  14. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    The guitarist is the one who I thought who looked like darth maul..well that and a lady bug. Devil boy is bassist. Gotta love that psycho grin. I want to see these guys big time, Hell at Ozz Fest most of the better bands are on the second stage. My friend saw them and said that the bassist is completely and utterly insane on stage. He is a fantastic bassist, especially in a new metal band. Usually they dont have as much skill as this band.

Well I'm done rambling for now.
    Bye Bye!
  15. yea, he used to be an actor in theater! =X It's scary how well he plays and acts so ****ing scary! Like in the video for "Dig" where he playing this fast bassline and moving his head around with this evil grin like it's nothing! =P Gotta love him!
  16. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Yea, and he's been playing for about 8 years, comparibly to the guitarist and drummer of Mudvayne who have both been playing for somewhere between 15-20 years. I've seen video clips of Dig and he's playing bass acting like its like talking and walking at the same time.
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've seen the bugger live. He jumps around and is nutsoid, all while alying down a bass like nobody's buisness. The funny think is, this was back in May, and since then, I've been warning people, and just now am I getting to say "I told you so!"

Rollingstone said he used to do Jazz fusion or soemthing...at any rate, he's no dummy, and he's great. I told you so!;)
  18. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Then... uhm I SHALL BE THE NEXT BEST THING! lol :D
  19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hes awesome. Their drummer sure does help though; he's incredible! Gotta love a guy who syncopates instead of just hitting on every 1 and 3!

Wait, the guitarist and drummer have been playing for 15-20 years? Jesus, how old ARE they?!?!
  20. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...I think their all around 25-29 somewhere in there...talented guys. And Angus is way right: the drummer Spag does compliment them, the band is like one massive rythem section. It rocks!