Did you catch the GC Memorial sale. New $499 5 string Bongo!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KenToby, May 31, 2005.

1. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    I was first in line and scored one of two Brand New 5 string Bongos for $499.
    I'm not sure I'll keep it but how could I pass it up???

2. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    $499?!??!? You need to take some pics... I can't belive they are selling them that low. I own 2 Bongos(a fretted and a fretless) and I won't play anything else.

3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I hate you.

In the best way possible of course. I just bought my Bongo for $1050. Used...

Did I say I hate you?
  4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hmm, a bongo new is $3500 here in norway.

I hate you even more than OpaqueBass hated you. :spit:
  5. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Yes, mine is Lava Pearl in color (burnt orange). Dual humbuckers, 4 band EQ, no case. $547 total!!

I don't think it will see much playing time with me.

Help me decide what to do with it!!

6. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Sell it to me.

Why wouldn't it get any playing time? Just not your thing? If you'd seriously consider selling it, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.
  7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I truly despise where I live. 4 1/2 hours to the closest GC, and I would have jumped on that deal no matter the color, pickup selection, etc. :scowl:
  8. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Noun 1.leg-pulling - as a joke: trying to make somebody believe something that is not true

jest, joke, jocularity - activity characterized by good humor

499? believe it(and pass out) when I see it. Though im not calling you a lier this just goes against every Bongo price I have ever seen ... new or used. Was half of it missing?
  9. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    I have tons of basses and prefer to stick with my Benavente 5, Yamaha TRB5P or Fender Jazz 5 Standard. I simply don't need another 5. I saw a deal and jumped on it, if not it would have not lasted another 30 seconds!!!

You have a PM.

10. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    There were 3 tags in the clear plastic holder; the first said $1350, the 2nd said $950 and the last one said $499.

I have the bass, the recipt and the tags.

Someone walk me through the picture posting process and I'll share after work this evening... no problem.

11. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Best thing to do would be to have someone host it for you and link directly ... if you sent the picture to me id post it up for you cause this I got to see... Tag and receipt;)
  12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Kentoby, I know you have some great basses already, but you should seriously check out that Bongo. They are really great basses
    and once you get used to it, you might very well work it into your rotation. If you really check out a Bongo later and like it, you will kick yourself for getting rid of one that got for only $499.
  13. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Nice buy. Tryxx on MX forums got a Mesa Walkabout head for the same price at that sale. I really wish now that I would have gone up there...
  14. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    PM me with your email address and prepare to pass out my friend :)

15. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002

I may stick it in a case and sit it in a closet just because I know I may never see one at that price ever again.

16. havuk

Jan 5, 2005
    Think he just put this up on bassgear if anyone is interested in buying...
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I wouldn't even bother. Let him think you're lying;)

Happens to me all the time;)
  18. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Lying is such a harsh word
  19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You asked him to provide a tag and receipt for proof. What would you call it?

Great score, Ken. I almost picked up a spare Walkabout for the blowout price of $450 a while back, and I almost got a Bongo for under $900 new a couple of weeks ago, but managed to fight off the GAS long enough to make my way for the exit. Two is enough for now. :D
  20. 0557

Apr 12, 2004
    The GC in atlanta had six of them on clearance for $1199.
    two weeks ago, all were fivers. I haven't been back, but three of them had piezo's.
    Bongos have not done that well through GC in Atlanta.
    sad but true!