1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did you catch the GC Memorial sale. New $499 5 string Bongo!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KenToby, May 31, 2005.

1. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I believe you got it at that price. At my store we can't give the things away. No offence to the Bongo lovers out there but people are comming into my store and comparing the Bongo to Lakland's, Smith's, Fodera's, Fenders, and Modulis. The Bongo's are staying put and in time they will be price slashed. My guess is because GC has over 100 stores in America and all that buying power, they could easily afford to blow them out like that. But hey you got a great deal so BONGO it up a notch!

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

As in not telling the truth? When I don't believe someone is telling the truth...

okay... fibbing.
    :D

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Mebbe they'd sell quicker if they didn't look like they were made from toilet seats.... ;)

4. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Asking friendly for a pic for verification isnt calling someone a lier. Its an incredible price and he more then likely picked it up, but id still like a pic. Do I believe him now ? Never flat out said I didnt but im swaying a bit ... especially since its up for sale now ... I even threw an offer his way:) Though pics still wouldn't hurt. But in no way did I disrespectfully call him a lier ... The most I did was joking say he might be pulling our leg.

5. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Sane, you'll have pictures tonight however I didn't see an offer.

PM sent...

KT

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Sane... Guitar Center does stuff like at their "List" sales. They sell stuff that's either not on their inventory sheet or some other thing just to get rid of it.

Case in point...a couple years ago, I bought a brand new Mexican Deluxe Active Jazz 5 for $219...brand new bass, etc.

Briefly owned a beautiful hand made Yamaha acoustic guitar...LL-50 or some such model number. List price $1500, GC list sale price $299. My wife still had a fit and I foolishly returned it.

Ampeg B50R $172, Ampeg B3? combo (basically the B2R head and 1x15 combo) $279, Am Hot Rodded P-Bass, $425 (IIRC). Nobody bought those and they were all marked back up to full price the day after...

The last sale I went to they were selling Ampeg PB-110 cabinets for $99. eBay was flooded with them afterwards.

I got up too late to make yesterday's sale...probably a good thing too...

No wonder small shops have a tough time when GC can sell gear so cheap...

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I believe it 100%.

I work at a GC and saw some sick prices. As a mater of fact, I picked up a brand new Mesa Boogie Roadking 4x12 guitar cab in burgandy with a gold and black cloth grille front which normally sells for $1049 for $499.

Some of the prices were ubsurd. This was the best sale I've ever seen at GC.

8. CG does some pretty good sales and are able to because of how big they have become. I got my hands on an '05 SR4 for a very good price. 499 is amazing for a bongo.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The main reason they do these discounts is because they have money tied up in this gear that they cant use to purchase new gear that will sell.

If they had $1000 tied up in a Bongo, now they only have $500, and they have $500 that they can spend to buy new gear that will sell.

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I know for a fact that that's way below dealer cost. I would bet both my Bongos that nobody is blowing them out at that price, but I don't doubt that a particular guitar center "might" sell one like that. I bought a perfectly good new Warwick Pro-M a few years back for $499. At the time the bass was selling for about $1,400. It had some loose knobs, needed a battery and a setup. Some idiot who worked there was probably having a weird or bad day and just wanted to get rid of it.

As for the sale of Bongos, they are selling them like crazy. People have to wait on them, sometimes months. If they're not selling off the walls of GC I attribute this to a few things: 1. they're abused at GC as are all other decent basses they have there. I wouldn't ever buy a Bongo from a uitar Center unless it came fresh out of the box, and most of them are hanging on their walls. 2. Nobody at GC ever seems to give a rat's ass about the basses that are hanging there. They don't change batteries, they don't set them up. 3. Guitar Center is more geared towards moving the cheaper stuff. People buying things for over $1000 I think generally take their business elsewhere.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

I'd take that bet, Joe. Ever been to one of their holiday sales?:D

"I was first in line and scored one of two Brand New 5 string Bongos for $499. I'm not sure I'll keep it but how could I pass it up???"

According to Ken they had two basses for that price. Advertising their availibilty in advance is what gets long lines formed before the stores even open. It's not about Bongos not selling, it's about buzz.

Nothing new.

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    The main reason they did this one was most likely because lots of people would show up in the hopes of getting dirt cheap deals on popular stuff.

13. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Ugh.... I was in Seattle on Sunday, at Guitar Center (not looking to buy anything, just killing time before a Bill Frizell concert at the Jazz Alley) and the salesman told me that he would sell me anything in the store that day for the Memorial Day sale price. I thought nothing of it and didn't even consider really buying anything. I had a run on a couple of Bongos and really loved every minute of it. That being said, I NEVER EVEN LOOKED AT THE PRICE TAG! Let alone the astonishing sale price. If I had known they were going for that small of a tag, I would have walked out with two, one for me and one for my stepdad....... wow...... I feel like I missed a huge opportunity on this one. :crying:

14. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Prior to the doors opening yesterday this "Guy Smiley" guy comes out and announces something like, "...we're blowing out MusicMan basses... I'm talking about the real thing!!!!"
    My first thought was that he was talking about their S.U.B. basses.

I checked my list and didn't see any MM basses there. So I'm guessing that these were a last minuite addition.

Once I got in I would have walked by it if it wasn't for a guy crossing my path with one of the two.

This same announcer came out with a used "Jackson HX Professional" 6 string and says, "We're auctioning this guitar off to be smashed in the parking lot...".
    I find that kind of action simply wrong. The high bid was $1.00. At the last moment I offered $5.00 and took it home, I promptly soldered 2 wires and now have a fully functioning, good looking guitar.

Yes, it was a great day.

SANE will be posting my photos this evening.
    KT

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    That is well below dealer cost. Its around $8-900 on most MM basses.

My new Boogie cab was priced below cost too. :D

16. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    The manager of the GC probably told the salesman to blow out the bongos (meaning percussion) at $4.99 and being a typical guitar player he promptly marked down the MM Bongo's to $499! :bag:

Poor salesman! I sure hope he can find another job! :D

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Exactly. It's still got legs;)

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That $779 new Czech Spector 5 I saw yesterday, is now $1205. Man, somebody missed a sweet one.

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My GC was blowing out the new Variax basses for $599.99. Just the two of 'em, thought about walking with one of them but held back. Credit card only had room for $400 :(

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Man TP..I'd have scooped one of those up at that price in a second.