Did you ever consider quitting your home country ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JayAmel, Sep 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France

From time to time, an idea comes back to my mind : quitting France.

The fact is, France is a beautiful country. It is also a secure country. We have good public services on health and education.

But I'm fed up with the French mentality. French people want everything given to them, but they are unable to make any effort to change their lives.

Of course, it is not true for ALL French people, but there is a general feeling of loss of self-responsibility that irritates me.

I'd like to know if anyone here already felt the same feelings in his own country, and considered quitting it. Or any other reason that could lead you to want to quit ? (no politics please)

All the best,
  2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    not quitting, but i really want to live somewhere else...

like Spain or Canada :D
  3. I just watched Bowling for Columbine, and I wanna move to Canada, or Austrailia, or England...
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I love the US of A with all it's quirks.... but Something in me wants to move to South eastern Canada. I took a trip from NJ to Niagra Falls, through to Canada then took a week to make it west of the Great Lakes via the north shores and then south to my family in Iowa. It was in the late 70's and my pre-teens... but it was a kick ass trip.

I even took 3 years of French in High School preparing.

Also a major part of my family resides in and around Nottingham (mostly go by Johnson)... They've been some of the nicest folk I've meet. Plus y'all got Castles across the pond :D
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Well Jay, if you ever really get tired of ol' France, my wife and I would be glad to trade places with you and yours. Come on, you know you want to live in Ohio....
  6. Come live in NJ. Pretty damn close to NYC also.
  7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

You fell for that crap? HA HA.
  8. you sure you dont mean americans? ;)
  9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Take a look at the average mexican american family. Then tell me they dont work their asses for what they want.

Look at the average white middle class family, tell me they aren't working for something better.

Look at the average american black family, tell me mom is working 2 jobs and dad is gone all the time working for nothing.

The majority of America is all about work, broham.
  10. well, perhaps i should have rephrased that. see, my town has *tons* of low lifes who do nothing but sit at their place making babies and expecting the gov to give them any and everything they need. from foodstampts to baby supplies to welfare. and they arent doing anything to make it better. it just makes me sick :meh:
  11. S.E. Canada's a great place to visit, Lovely, but if you want to have a job and keep some of what you make I wouldn't move anytime soon. On top of the income tax which is steep, thay have a 16% GST (Goods and service tax) on EVERYTHING! Merde! And then there's that french seperatist thing too eh (as if the French want anything to do with Quebecers).
    But they do have Brador beer!
  12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's alot harder to move out of a country than you think, Osama. Immigration rules are pretty tight in alot of other countries, and won't let you in. I tried to move to England a few months ago. They would not let me in because I am not a brain surgeon nor a millionaire. I would love to leave this country, but where can you go? Most of the places that are worth living in make it very difficult to do so. Not to mention people trying to move out of America right now are pegged by the US government as dissidents, thanks to our wonderful Homeland Tyranny... I mean, Security Beaureu.
  13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

JL, go find the things in life that you want to do. Whether other people, be them French or "______" are part of your life depends on the decisions you make and where those decisions take you.

There's always going to be someone that will try to get you down, just do the things that you want to/need to.
    Don't give up on your country, but it doesn't hurt to look around.
  14. True. However,I mean...the people who usually say this are all negative about other countries too. they should all just goto Antartica or something, I mean geesh:rolleyes:

I just don't like it when someone goes "America Sucks! Anarchy Rules man! I'm into the system...I know whats going on man!" when they just do it to be cool,or rebellious.
  15. It's comments like that that could turn a thread nasty...yes ok so the UK maybe hard to get to, but I don't think the requirements are a Brain Surgeon or a Millionaire...we're not all rich over here you know!

I'm sure the immigration office has better and more thought out reasons than "He's not a Brain Surgeon."
  16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

Cool, make dissenters leave, so you don't have to deal with the issues in question and things don't change. How convenient.
  17. I thought about leaving the UK for about a year, then finally took the plunge last October.
    Many reasons, but the main two were the declining UK music scene and that my Thai wife didn’t seem too welcome there. Went back for two week visit a couple of months ago, but so much red tape that my wife was not allowed to travel with me, even after being a resident for six months before we moved.
    I think the UK and U.S. are the only two civilized countries in the world that do not freely allow legal wives to travel to their husbands home counties.

Thailand is not without it’s problems as I am not allowed to work, and any gigs that I do, officially have to be unpaid or for gifts or drinks. …But a much better music scene, a beautiful country and a very exciting and reasonable place to live. Also the climate is probably the best in the world in the coastal part that we live.

Immigration wise, not too easy for a very long stay unless you are married and a bit of capital behind you. My first 9 months, I had to go across the Cambodian boarder every 90 days to get a fresh visa stamp, but at last I have got a years resident visa which has an automatic renewal.
    Much easier than UK immigration was for my wife though.

Having a much better life in Thailand and have no desire to live in my home country again. A few ‘new life” pics on my home page if anyone is interested.:)

The down side, I lost my Talkbass supporting member status, and PayPal does not allow any payments from Thailand.:meh:

Spike. (Mike)
  18. What an excellent doco i must say.

Australia is A OK. :rolleyes:

19. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Osama, your post was juvenile, antagonistic, and not directly on topic. This thread is to talk about other places you might enjoy living, it's actually a celebration of other cultures, not a damnation of people's current cultures.

Grow up, and don't post that way in these forums anymore.
  20. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Not trying to turn the thread nasty, but what I said is true. Not all British people are rich and super smart, but they are allowed to stay because they are British. I'm an American. In order for me to be allowed to move to the UK, I have to qualify for thier Highly Skilled Migrant Program (which means you have to have an employer hire you before you arrive, and it's limited to serioussly high level jobs), or have to have $500,000 to invest in British business. Trust me, I tried everything. The immigration laws are very strict.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.