Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did you ever fall in love with a bass and you DON'T buy it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pantografo64, Jul 2, 2001.

1. Just curious.

Sometimes you're happy with your gear (hopefully) and you find a new right bass.
    You don't need it: perhaps you're a student with no bucks, you have just bought three other basses in a month, you are on travel, you have to buy a new car/flat, etc. etc.

That happened two times to me:
    ten years ago with a maple board Asat and five years ago with a refineshed (and moderately cheap) '66 Precision.
    Probably the best basses I tried but for some reasons I didn't buy them.

2. last year, rickenbacker 4001...i need it.....
    two months ago, fretless warwick 5....tightest B ever...

3. It happens every time I go to a music store. Why, you ask. I have the money. I have the love but I don't have very understanding parents but in two years I won't have to worry about them anymore(at least when it comes to music stuff)

4. All the time. Most recently was a used American Deluxe Fender Jazz Bass, it was so cool, it was fun to play, and had excellent tone and versatility, but I couldn't afford it. Argh.

5. ALL THE TIME, this happens whenever i walk into a music store pretty much(well mostly its the same basses cause i still haven't baught them) See i unfortunately am a young un high school student, i work sure, but i have car payments(damnit, i should have gottten a cheaper car) and my parents refuse to pay for more of it, which is disappointing. so i never have the funds, but as for the basses,
    warwick FNA 4 string(though i'd like the jazzman even more)
    Spector 5 string, its the korean series, so cheaper, i actually don't buy this one cause theres others i want
    G&L JB-2 nice bass, might be my next one
    G&L ASAT semi-hollow(haven't plugged it in yet)

those are the biggest culprits, i need a new bass too, badly, so belair57 you can lend me some of that money you got that ya can't buy a bass with :) cause i sure could use it.

6. I am currently in love with the fretless F-bass. It is impossible to justify the purchase to myself right now. So I love from afar.

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    G&L L2000
    Some years ago when I played 4 string basses.

I keep wondering why havent I bought a Stingray 5 Yet...
    I keep spending my money in other stuff instead of the Stingray...
    Dont know why.

8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Someone posted photos of a trans blue Sadowsky the other day...great quilt top, gorgeous birdseye maple board. I told the wife I was buying it...she agreed. I emailed Roger for the price....and I decided not to do it. I just didn't need another bass.

I'm getting old...and responsible.....

9. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    yes, all the time.

but i'm a 17 year old high schooler with no money.

hopefully a summer job SHOULD make me enough by september to buy a MIM precision or jazz.

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    the last year a 1968 gibson semihollowbody
    this year fender jazz 1975 reissue

[​IMG]

and at the moment i'm dreaming a fender roscoe beck.

11. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    At least once a week, Lats week it was a Sterling Fretless, This Week????????

12. All the time. My parents dont let me buy them.

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    ..sigh....

One day, she'll be mine.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    This happens to me too many times. I just don't have the cash and my parents wouldn't let me even if I did. So I sit around a dream about what basses I want. Right now these are the top five basses I would buy if I had the money.

1)Carvin B4, w/ the MM/J setup Seymour Duncan active pups, w/ the slap contour. Swamp Ash body, natural finish, and I would love to slap a tortoise pickgard on it, like the ones on the Stingray 5, but for a four string.

2)Music Man Sterling, Rosewood fingerboard, red finish w/ the white perloid pickgaurd (they have on at the music store except the pickgaurd is plain white)

3)Fender MIA Jazz Deluxe, rosewood fingerboard, white w/ a tortiose pickgaurd (they have this one at the same store)

4)A Warmoth Surf Green custom P-Bass w/ a white perloid pickgaurd, Jazz neck, rosewood fingerboard, Seymour Duncan quarter pounder, Schaller tuners, hipshot D-Tuner, and a Badass II.

5) I haven't really thought of five, but it shouldn't be too long until a another bass catches my eye or ear.

15. rocktheganj

rocktheganj

Apr 17, 2001
    Illinois
    this year fender jazz 1975 reissue

Not to rub it in, but i have this bass, and it is one of the best basses I have ever played. I got it used, but it is in perfect condition, the only problem I have is the saddle for the E-string always goes out of place.

But, keeping with the forum, I think for me it would have to be a Pedulla PentaBuzz Fretless with a Sunburst body.

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sure! Hard to remember them all, but a couple are:

1. 1961 Fender Jazz. They asked $6,500 back in 1991.:( So, that was a no-brainer.

2. 198? Alembic Series II. Can't remember how long ago it was, probably 12 or so years. Maybe 15. It was one of the most amazing instruments I'd seen to date. Price? Probably more than the '61 Jazz above:mad:

3. 2001 Spector NS-4. Natural. Abalone inlays. The most amazing figuring I've ever seen, especially on a Spector. Natural finish (which I like even more than my own). Again, the cost factor...:mad:

4. Status Buzzard. For $6,995, I can't justify buying a bass that only 1 person I know of has even HANDLED:eek: But, owning one...how cool would that be???:cool:

17. I fall in love with basses all the time. I'm a bass slut :p

but seriously, I don't buy basses that I love simply because I can't afford it!

18. Last year it was an older Warwick Corvette with the Wenge neck for $700. That was the first bass to ever knock me off my feet. Once I had resolved to buy it.. it was gone. :(

This year I really took a liking to a fretless Musicman Sterling that the store was asking around $1700 for. I went on to BassNW and got a fretless Stingray 5 for about half the price and I haven't looked back.

A few weeks ago it was an ash bodied, Spector USA bolton NS2J in natural finish. Bar none the best instrument I've ever touched.. someday it will be mine!

19. I've got a few that I want:

BTB405QM - this will be my next(2nd ever) bass. But not for about 10 months.

Spector NS5CRFM - cos it rules.

G&L ASAT - Cos it rules. And it looks like a Telecaster :p

Some sort of high-end ESP bass...and I have no idea why..

A Dave Pushic 5 string, with a soapbar AND an MM...:eek:

That's all, folks :D

P.S. This was my 300th post. Watch out, 400!

20. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i've played some pre-cbs basses and i can't nearly afford them (i've just a little kid.) They have to be my favorites. I wish i could say tht i'm saving up for one with a refinish or maybe one that was defretted (they are a lot cheaper with a refinish), but that'll take me a while. I'm pretty happy with the gear i have though. I'm set with my gear, i love my amp and i love my bass. I know someone that bought an '80s alembic epic (or some model like that) for $300, i'm always looking for deals like that :) .