1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did you ever get such a good Craigslist deal that you felt guilty?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by capnjim, May 19, 2011.

1. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Geez..I feel like I just kicked a puppy.
    I know, its up to the seller to research and try to get the most but...
    I answered an ad for a 1989 fender strat with upgrades for 500$.
    The upgrades include: David Gilmour EMG wired pickgaurd, 200$ on eBay, 300$ new. Still has the box and instructions...Sperzel locking tuners....,
    graphtech saddles, fancy ball bearing nut.
    Plus, it came with original tuners, saddles, nut and, here's the kicker, the original pickguard has lace sensors and has been modded for a roland synth. The pickup and all the wiring. I just need the GR-1 brain.
    I have been wanting a synth for 25 years ever since I listened to Pat Metheney's Offramp.
    Just the roland pickup and wiring was probably 300$.
    Did I mention, the guitar plays like a dream? Original case, allen wrenches and extra spring in the little paper envelope?
    I figure I will sell the EMG's for 200$, the Sperzels for 50$ and I end up with a roland ready '89 strat for 250$...

The reason I feel kind of guilty? The seller was a fireman and I picked it up at the fire-station, the nicest guy you will ever meet.
    He told me I was the first reply and he had over 50 replies after me.
    I told him it was a great deal, why are you selling so cheap? He pointed out a few cracks in the finish and 2 tiny holes in the body and 4 tiny holes in the headstock where there was a Floyd type tremolo.
    What a piece of crap!!

I don't know, why..but I feel kind of bad. I mean he probably spent 600-700$ on upgrades alone.
    Anyone else ever feel a bit bad getting a killer deal?

2. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    When it comes to money I'm heartless.. :D

I bought an all original 78' pre-EB Stingray for $700 from a really great guy who's selling his gear because of a divorce.. I didn't felt anything at all.. :help:

3. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    No.

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    He set the price and you didn't haggle. No harm, no foul. Tho I understand where you are coming from. What were you gonna do though? "Aw man, I insist on giving you a grand, 500 is just too little."

5. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I saw an ad a while back, this guy found a couple of old microphones in his recently deceased uncle's attic. Wanted $50 for the pair. Turns out they were original Neumann U87's, worth 3 to 5 grand each. I debated snatching them up, but ended up emailing him and telling him what he had. He told me a few other people had as well.

6. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    I did this not too long ago.. found a Hartke 115-XL, the real deal not the transporter model, for $100. brand freakin new. the guy said it was a demo model and hardly used. IF EVER. not a hair or blemish anywhere.. didn't suit my needs..

so i sold it for $150. went to a great kid who really, really needed it. i think it was worth my time for the extra $50. It was a steal, but i helped out someone else. guilty? maybe... but i think i did the work for him and it cost him a cool fitty without having to dig through CL... oh well!

7. only a little bit when i sold the item for twice what i paid for it. :D

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yes. I found an authentic from Italy La Pavoni espresso machine for a fraction of it's value.

-Mike

9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I got a 2x10 Line 6 Spider guitar combo amp for $40 - one that would have been $200 or 300 new. The guy said the power switch was mysteriously broken in the "on" position, so the only way to turn it on and off was to plug it in or unplug it. Otherwise, apart from some rips in the tolex, it was in great shape. After getting it, I asked my cousin the electrician to look at it and it turns out that someone had installed a second power switch bypassing the factory one; it was tucked away inside the cab where you wouldn't find it unless you were looking. The seller apparently had no idea it was there.

I don't feel so bad about the price; what I feel bad about is wondering if I bought stolen goods. How did the guy not know this bypass switch was there? He obviously hadn't installed it himself. If he had bought it used from someone, why hadn't they told him about it? But at this point, I have no idea how I would find out if it was stolen or how to locate the original owner.

10. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    When more recently made, very clean condition American Standard Strats can be found on the used market for around $650-$750 in this economy, you hardly ripped this man off at $500 for a modded 89 Strat, even if you got a bunch of extras with it to make the deal sweeter. The truth is that folks rarely recover any money for upgrades they do to an instrument when they sell them off, and in some cases, mods can lower the value versus an instrument of the same year and model in original factory condition. It sounds strange, but it's true. Rest assured that this gentleman sold it to you at a price he thinks is fair for what he had. Maybe he just doesn't want to hassle of trying to make more money out of the stuff he had, and blew it out to you at the minimum price he'd except. I've offered deals of this nature a few times on gear I had for sale, just to move the stuff. You made a very good deal, congrats on your new guitar.

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, I did recently get a great deal off CL on a used floppy silicone paperweight in Poughkeepsie....

12. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG! Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Wow, how's it smell?:bag:

13. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Sans Amp Bass Driver DI in perfect condition for $45.

14. ez-rhino

ez-rhino

Sep 8, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Bass and Drum Mercenary
    A lady was selling her son's Yamaha drums on CL once, was only asking $100 or so. I already had drums and was not in the market, but I like to look anyway. The tone of her posting was that she just wanted them out of her house, and that her son was off at college and didn't want them.

I emailed her, telling her that they are easily worth $600-$800 for the lot (had a K ride and crash, Eliminators, and a few extras). She responded saying that it made sense, and had wondered why so many people responded at once asking for the kit. I advised her to revise the ad and price, as her son had probably sunk a ton of money into that kit, and would likely be upset with her had she sold the lot for a measly $100 - I know I would be upset if my parents sold off my stuff just to get rid of it.

On a related note - I did pick up some mint DW5000's (double kicks) for $75. The kid I got them from had just got some brand new Iron Cobras for XMas, and didn't like the DW's (which I LOVE). Didn't feel guilty one single bit.

Found an sweet Ibanez SR500 for $125.

Made $50 once for soldering an 8 pin SOIC back onto a small motherboard, some junkie looking guy was trying to replace a head unit in his truck and somehow damaged the PCB, knocking off the IC. He posted a CL ad looking for someone with "mad soldering skillz". Easiest money I've ever made, took less than 1 minute to fix (had to milk it out for a few minutes and make it look like there was some effort involved).

15. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    So, go back and give him more money. How much more would it take to not feel quilty? :meh:

16. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    I bought (well, stupidly let a friend buy instead) a 1968 Fender Vibrochamp for $150 once not long ago. My local music shop has one for $1200 on the shelf.

I felt a little bad about it. Also, I spent about 15 minutes convincing the chick who owned it to sell it to me instead of some other guy who already had dibs on it. I bet he was devastated the next day when he called up to go pick it up. :D

17. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Nope. Ive gotten some good deals, but Ive never felt guilty about one. I dont try and haggle people usually. If I like something at the price offered I'll take it so long as I feel its worth it (or more than worth it). I see no reason to feel guilty if a party asks for $100, and I give them what they ask for.

18. Nope no guilt.

I bought a old VW bus for 800$ , sold it for 1800$ a month later. I bought a few other cheap cars as beaters , drove em for 3-6 months sold them all at 100-300$ profits.

I bought alot ALOT of gear i made 100-150$ off from craigs , in decemeber i got a dead mint fender USA P bass for 560$ , sold it here and made about 350$ profit.

I just got a les paul studio for 500$ , one of the maple topped ones that is 1300$ new.

Oh and i bought some ibanez guitar for 100$ an traded it for a nearly mint peavey bass amp a 300 combo , old amp but in great shape and huge.

19. OP, While I see no reason to feel guilty, particularly since you informed the seller that the price seemed very low, if your concience is getting the better of you why not make a donation to whatever benevolent fund that firehouse supports. Let the seller know that you have made the donation and you can both feel better about the sale.