Did you ever think it was you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rexspangle, Jul 10, 2001.

1. A lot of people tend to say this and that sucks. Do you really hear so much of a difference between for example a peavey 410 cab and a swr 410cab? All equipment seems to suck to some people but I don't think the difference is that huge to go from sucks to amazing. (of course I have some personal preferences) I admit I can't always tell the difference. Of course good musicians deserve and need quality gear. But when I always hear stuff like "this company sucks"... Do you maybe think it might just be the player?
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Of course not! It's the companies' responsibility to make sure the player sounds good. After all we're buying and playing their instruments. By the way, so far, I have to say all manufacturers suck. No matter how many brands I try, I keep hitting wrong notes from time to time! when are these manufacturers gonna get it right?:p

Note: That was a joke.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, when I'm reading it on TalkBass and especially on the Basses forum, that's exactly what I'm thinking. Usually it's someone saying : Fender sucks - I tried xxx basses and the action was terrible. But of course you can set up the action how you want - this is nothing to do with Fender!!!

A lot of the time when people mention about buzzes and noises from their bass - the first thing I suspect is poor technique, but it's always difficult to phrase this so that people don't get upset.

Of course there are going to be some basses that you just can't get to play well - my first bass was £15 and it was not worth the scrap wood price - but nowadays the companies have had a long time to get their act together and most basses on sale are going to be reasonable - there's not much to choose between them and you just get what you pay for - most of them are probably made in the same factory!! ;)
  4. It all boils down to the player IMO. I mean, yeah sure a cab can make the difference to how you sound, but if you play crap in the first place..

Sure some brands give you a rounder sound, some a tinnie sound. So if i played a tinnie cab i would say "yeah its tinnie" but someone probably likes it like that. Doesn't mean it necessarily sucks.

5. Lord Bishop

Lord Bishop Guest

Jul 16, 2001
    Brooklyn N.Y.
    Experimenting with different combinations is the key to finding the sound you want, this bass with that head through that cabinet, spend a day at the music shop and try as many combinations as your heart desires. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.
  6. I'll admit I am not up on my gear. I don't know a lot of the brands or the technology behind half of the things that you guys talk about (which is why I don't post much on basses, amps, or setup). But I do wish people would have more constructive criticisms when it comes to reviewing things. It's worthless to say "I don't like Fenders, they suck." My .00000000002 cents.
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you really can't hear the difference between mediocre gear, good gear and great gear it's because your ear is not yet tuned into the nuances.

I'll admit it took me years to appreciate certain tonal subtleties. Sometimes you only notice them on stage. For instance, a speaker I recently bought sounds better and better the louder it gets; it sounds very good already at low volumes but it just "opens up" at higher volumes without any farting out, shrillness or loss of definition.

There are some cases where the difference is quite small, for example the Peavey/SWR comparison you made. I used to own a Peavey 2-10 cab and they did a good job of copying the SWR woofer design (same shallow cone) and used the same supplier for the horn (Foster). I found the cab sounded very close to the SWR for way less money.

When people talk about the "sound" of different amp brands though, it can be very real. I once put two amp heads on the bench and checked the frequency response of each in order to find out why they sounded different, even with the EQ set "flat".

The head that sounded "dull" turned out to be ruler flat from 30 Hz out past 10KHz.

The amp that sounded "flat" turned out to have a boost of 3dB starting at 2 KHz!!!

Like anything else, at some point price becomes an issue. At what point must you start paying big $$$ to get very subtle differences in tone? Then you have to decide if the price is worth it to you.
  8. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    No brand "automatically" has a great product. Aside from the "tonal" issues, there are some less subjective issues. The price has already been mentioned. Reliability and closely related durability are two more. It seems that Peavey and Carvin almost always gets great marks in these categories. How about Flexibility? Some instruments or rigs probably have a great tone.... but when you try to dial in another great tone - you just discovered your limit. A example of this is the debate between the Jazz and P-Bass. These are two basses that as a general rule are considered to have good tone. But I believe they generally can not sound like each other.

Regarding tone... One man's trash is another man's treasure. It's completely subjective. The only exception to this I think would be the players that seek out a "true" tone. One that just sounds as much as possible as the bass with the least coloration.

9. That's exactly what I was going to say.
  10. yeah guys but let's be honest hartke cabs realy do suck don't they? :)
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    of course.
  12. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Never tried 'em!! :)
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Duh...of course. It's physically impossible to get a decent sound out of any Hartke gear.

It's definitely not you.

Here's an oldie but goodie:

*I'd forgotten how belligerent I "used" to be;)
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So there's no point in having more than one bass then - it's all down to the player! ;)

PS - I use Hartke Cabs and get a great sound - I must now be in the Wooten/Jaco category of players who can get a great sound out of anything! I rock! :rolleyes:

(If that's alright with you!)
  15. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I think the post you are replying to was supposed to be taken as sarcastic. :)

But you do rock. We all do, in our own special ways. :p
  16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Shhhhh....that's half the fun. Unintended stealth sarcasm;)