Did you ever think...?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Apr 11, 2001.

1. I just listened to some Nirvana. I know, Krist Novoselic didnt play the most imaginative lines, but say if Smells Like Teen Spirit had some crazy bassline. Would it have been as um...fitting with the song? I myself dont think it wouldve sounded good.
  2. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Is it true the John Patitucci ghosted on one of Nirvana's albums?? I've read that a few times here and there. If so, why would he??
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If that's true, he did it because he got paid for it. He's a session bassist after all...;)
  4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Patitucci ghosting Nirvana????? Sounds like a Bass Player magazine April Fool gag... I guess somewhere in the ether it's possible, but it would seem highly counter intuitive to hire someone like Patitucci (who's probably on triple scale) to play something so far out of the style that he's best at...

I really like Chris' basslines with Nirvana - not surprisingly, Nevermind is still the album that students most often bring up in lessons as the kind of thing they want to learn, so I do spend a lot of time listening to, transcribing and playing along to Nirvana CDs. Some really inventive playing on there...

5. You're right. Novoselic played what fit the song, which is what rock bass players should do. If you can play something flashy while still serving the tune, then great. But that song obviously called for a simple, straightforward part, and he delivered.
  6. I'm a big fan of Novoselic myself but after discovering the Pixies after Nirvana, I hear so much of Kim Deal in his playing (not to mention the Frank Black influence in Kurt). Thats not an insultto Krist just an observation of how influential Kim Deal's simple yet sweet basslines were.Getting back to the topic I myself have tried to inprove on the Teen Spirit bassline only to go back to the same old origional bassline because it sounds so much better. Of course thats probably because I suck....
  7. I think Novoselic was the perfect bassist for Nirvana.He played what their songs needed.The bass line for "Lithium" is an excellent example of song priority.Simple,melodic and necessary.
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...yeah, come to think of it, it does. Really, though, I had heard that JP did "Heart-Shaped Box".
    I've also seen JP's name on a Was(Not Was) record...