Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did you experience creativity crisis ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JayAmel, May 18, 2002.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi,

I'd like to share a problematic step I just experienced in my musical life during the last two months.

This began by some kind of lassitude, and I had the impression I was stagnating. Then I started to blame it on many things : I thought I needed more equipment, I also thought my professional life, which is very active, was responsible for this situation, and finally I went to ask myself I had to keep on playing.

Then I wondered if getting a different instruments, i.e. with more strings, would be of any help. In fact, I didn't know at all how to manage this difficult situation, and I even sold my SVT-2 Pro I had bought a few weeks before. I had the impression I was getting a bit crazy.

Finally, I stopped playing any kind of music during 10 days, and yesterday I couldn't stand it any more, and so I went back to my Rick bass. And now I feel inspiration coming back, really coming back...

I don't know what actually happened, but I guess I just had to take a break, just time for me to consider my musical future with some hindsight. Though I've always spent MUCH time for playing music (and, of course, essentially bass), this had never happened to me before...

Did similar situations happen to you ? How did you manage to find the way out ? I'd be glad to read this kind of experience from anyone.

Thanks and best wishes,

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I can relate to this, and I think most of us (if not all of us) can. I went through a phase where I thought everything I played sounded the same and not very good either. I was really sick of hearing myself play, so I almost quit doing it. I was in this mode for about two or three weeks before I one day picked up my bass and immediately seemed to find new ways of expressing myself on the instrument. Man, did it feel good to be back! :)

3. Yeah I'm like that now, and it's been going on for quite a bit more than three weeks.. I used to have lots of confidence and I liked my style. Now:
    <ul type=SQUARE">
    <li>My tone sucks
    <li>my gear sucks
    <li>my technique seems sloppy
    <li>i'm starting to play guitar and drums alot more
    <li>and more...

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Happens to me every once in a while. Then I sit down and start D/Ling music, and pretty soon, something comes up that gets me going again.

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Fleabass89,

Since I'm trying to share similar experiences, I'm not sure I'm the most appropriate person to help you, but I'd like to say, at least, that this very recent experience helped me understand that, finally, gear is not that important. I was fed up with my 4003, and since today looks like I discovered it again... It never sounded so good.

Also, I was about to try to be hired by a local variety show orchestra, just for money. Most exactly : just to really earn much money from music. And playing Britney Spears covers and so on (she's cute, though :D ). I decided I would not go that way and, more than ever, that from now I'll only play what I want to play, not what I'd be asked to play.

This painful phase was very hard to stand, but I do believe that the final result of it is quite positive.

I think you must not lose self-confidence. Maybe, as I did, you should try to get away from music, until music calls you loud back to it ;)

All the best,

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This happens to me, too. One of my favorite ways to get out of a rut is to play guitar or keyboard. Another is to just take some time off.

7. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    i think i'm in one right now...

I'm not really proud of my playing ability and really just don't feel like practicing at all...

so i'm taking a vacation
    1. because i want to
    2. because i think i should

hope i get better:(

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yes -- I'm having a helluva time putting lyrics to the music I've been writing! I haven't figured out how to overcome it yet. :(

9. I get into ruts sometimes, and the only thing I have ever been able to do to overcome it is step back and leave it alone for a little while. Fortunately about 1 week is usually all it takes and I'm ready to go again.

10. I had that problem as recently as a few days ago. So, I bought a new pedal. I'll use it for awhile, get bored with it and sell it. It gets me out of ruts, so it's worth the $80. They're fun to play with, ya know.

11. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    My bass playing gig requires little creativity, but a whole lot of practicing other people's lines. I recharge by playing along with music I like to hear recreationally. If I were required to make up bass lines, I would probably defer to someone who could write something cool. If not, I would definitely experience a creativity crisis.