Did you know...(Share your knowledge of Rock/Jazz/Pop Music Trivia!)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Did you know that...

Before starting Roxy Music, Bryan Ferry auditioned to be the lead singer of King Crimson?

Fripp & Co. turned him down, as you obviously know.

C'mon! Share your useless music knowledge!
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Peter Sellers was an accomplished Ukulele player. But everybody knows that...
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Chip Davis, who had a hit in 1975 with the novelty song "Convoy" later founded Mannheim Steamroller.
  4. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    And he even recorded with Steeleye Span.

Bill Bruford was once the drummer for Savoy Brown (about 3 days, as he tells it).

The most heard musician in the world is probably Brian Eno - he wrote the sound clip that is known as The Sound of Microsoft, which is what you hear every time you start up your computer.

Adrian Belew's real name is something like Tom. Adrian was apparently either his first band or girlfriend.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    How many songs have been written with the title "Heartbreaker"?

Gene Pitney
    Grand Funk
    Led Zeppelin
    Pat Benatar

Who is the only musician to have played both with Miles Davis AND Bob Dylan?

bassist Harvey Brooks

Who is the only musician to have played with Miles Davis AND Bonnie Raitt?

bassist Dave Holland

Who is the only musician to have played with both James Brown AND Neil Young?

bassist Tim Drummond

Name bassists who were hired into big-name bands despite not being able to play bass (the bandleader had to teach them)?

Jeffrey Hammond Hammond (Jethro Tull)
    Martin Lickert (Zappa)
    Boz Burrell (King Crimson, later with Bad Co.)

Name famous guitarists who have played bass as sidemen for someone else? For extra points, name the leader they backed up!

Pete Townsend (backed up Thunderclap Newman)
    David Gilmour (backed up Dream Academy)
    Lonnie Mack (backed up the Doors)
    Keith Richards (backed up John Lennon)
    Jimi Hendrix (backed up Timothy Leary)
    Stephen Stills (backed up Joni Mitchell)
    Willie Nelson (backed up Ray Price)
    Waylon Jennings (backed up Buddy Holly)

Name a famous musician known mainly for playing another instrument who has actually recorded extensively as a bassist?

Wilton Felder (tenor sax with the Crusaders)
    Charlie McCoy (Nashville harmonica player)
    Phil Upchurch (jazz guitarist)

True or false? Fleetwood Mac was named after two founding members, drummer Mick Fleetwood and bassist John McVie.

False! It was indeed named after Fleetwood and McVie but the first bass player in the band was Bob Brunning. McVie joined later.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I had to use the "Delete." It could have put Paul in hot water.
  7. Other bands who have done a song called "Heartbreaker":

The Cardigans
    The Bee Gees
    Mariah Carey
    Ray Charles
    The Crystals
    Free (Paul Rodgers)
    Rory Gallagher
    Michael Jackson
    B.B. King
    Dolly Parton
    Rolling Stones

and last but not least:

8. When Cliff Burton of Metallica died (RIP), Les Claypool was amongst the bassists who auditioned to take his place. In the end, Claypool was considered "too talented".

Nick Fyffe now of Jamiroquai, auditioned for a Jamiroquai tribute band, the day before he was given the position left by Stuart Zender.

I'm sure most people know these, and they arent totally useless bits of knowledge, but hey.

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    There's also Ronnie Wood (played bass for Jeff Beck ... or was it Rod Stewart ... damn, I never did enough drugs to lose my memory like this):D
  10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Convoy was C.W.McCall. Was Chip Davis the Bassist? (Pardon my ignorance. I don't know who Chip Davis is.)(And I'm slightly embarassed I know who C.W.McCall is.;) )
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Jimmy page played bass for the Yardbirds, with Jeff Beck and (?)Eric Clapton(?) on guitar.

I think that Jeff Beck may have played bass for them too, before he was one of the guitarists.
  12. "DM) You were born Robert Steven Belew. Why did you switch to Adrian?

AB) In 1974 I moved to Nashville to join a band called Sweetheart. They already had one "Steve" and since no one knew me, I took the opportunity to choose a new name. I had always preferred the name Adrian. As far back as my high school years, I had pencils monogrammed with the name Adrian.

13. Eddie Van Halen played bass on a Sammy Hagar solo album that was recorded when Sammy was still in Van Halen. I'm not sure the name of the album but it's the one that has the song "Where Eagles Fly."
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wood played bass on Beck's Truth & Beck-Ola.
    Wood also played bass on Stewart's Every Picture Tells A Story...that's Woody on "Maggie May".
  15. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Neil Young had polio as a child and he is also an epileptic.

Jack Bruce once threw his URB at Ginger Baker at a gig.

The Cream song NSU gets its title from an STD that Eric Clapton contracted.
  16. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Chip Douglas-
    ...played bass & produced/composed a bit with The Monkees.
    On the Headquarters album(The Monkees' 3rd record...the one where they learned to play together as a group in lieu of Kirschner's studio whiz machine), Douglas has a very '60s McCartney-esque tone/vibe going on.
  17. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Steely Dan is named after a steam powered dildo from the novel "Naked Lunch".

Roger Waters came up with the title "The Wall", because in Motreal, during the last gig on the "Darkside Of The Moon" tour, he spat on two hecklers. When they charged the stage, he thought to himself, "Wow, it would be cool if a band played behind a wall, and no one would be able to see what was going on behind it." They're also named after 2 American blues singers.

The numbers on the tail of the airplane on the cover of the Beastie Boys "License To Ill" album spells "Eat Me" when held up to the mirror.

When Bootsy first joined James Brown, he destrung a guitar, and put 4 bass string on it. JB finally had gotten sick of it, and bought him a Fender Jazz.
  18. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    there is a led zepplin album that if you get the sleeve wet, you'll see some pretty funny looking colors.
  19. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Oh yeah, one of the lead singers' in my band grandad wrote 3 of the songs on Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" album.
  20. Courtney Love was the singer in Faith No More before Mike Patton joined.