1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did you know this one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Avezzano, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    What the hell, strange, but strangly cool!

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    this is BASSed off an old upright bass type design that has bass strings on the front, as well as open strings on the back of the neck.

sadly, after finding this instrument, i have lost the website of it and can no longer provide the name as i forgot it.

if anybody knows, please tell me! i asked the double bass forum, but my thread just traveled down the page, unanswered.

3. well, with all the due respect, actually this guy proposes something that is radically different: those are definitely not two open strings (only one single note would be available from each string) but a fully manageable fretbord, for an added extra note or two to the ones you are plucking on the standard front board... you'll admit that it's not something one comes up with everyday...

4. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Wow that is fantastic, what a unique idea. And yes those appear to be frets on the back of the neck.
    Dirk

5. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    That is Hella Cool, but I think I'll pass.

6. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I have enough of a hard time playing the ones on the front..

But awesome idea, and good to see people think outside of the box..

Plus the demos are pretty cool..

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm genuinely impressed!

8. rkingly

rkingly "Playing Reverend Basses on a Regular Basis"

Sep 8, 2007
    Virginia
    Endorsing Artist: Reverend Guitars
    Anyone know how the back side strings are tuned?
    Seems very cool but I wonder how much use they would get.

9. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I would imagine this would be incredibly useful for someone who regularly has to fill both bass lines and melody lines at once.

I can dig it.

10. Seems like a cool idea that maybe 3% of bassists would ever actually use.

11. you took the words tight out of my mouth. :D

12. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    That is really thinking outside the box. The video clips are pretty impressive, and the bass even sounds good. I dig it.

13. I suppose you can tune as you want; but I would tune E and A, so when you fret or solo on the upper to strings you will add the correspondent note on one of the two back strings. I suspect it is surprisingly easy to come out with something good right away...

14. only seems good for 2 things imo, (1) walking basslines (2) solo compositions. Still mad cool though^^

15. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    This will certainly mess with people watching your fingers who don't know about the back strings :)

Personally I wouldn't invest in the company.

16. :hyper: ...and THAT is the best part: They'll think you're the next Vic Wooten or something...

17. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I'd love to see Stu Hamm play that thing! 2+ hand tapping?

18. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    This had to designed by and for accordian/concertina/kalimba players to give thier thumbs something to do.