Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

did you know you suck?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Frugle, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    So I'm a freelance videographer, so I shoot a lot of concerts... someone of them good, some bad..

but I just had one really odd experience a couple weeks ago.. I'm not going to go into to much detail for fear the person/people might be apart of these forums.

well I was shooting a concert a couple weeks ago.. and like most, they had an opening band.

well.....it sucked. The guitar player had a very nice guitar... but that was it.. he was running direct into a beringeer (sp?) and useing the amps distortion.

well... that made it weird, the tone sucked.. and it was the exact same tone through the whole set... slow and fast songs....

same thing with the bass, they did not change anything.. he plucked in the same spot the entire time, and didn't change which pickup etc. he also was inconsistant as to how hard he plucked.

and to make everything worse, they didn't have monitors, so they were playing off what the heard... basically what bounced off the walls in the back of the room... so they were all off time.

but the didn't seem to notice....they acted like they thought they were doing great...

so my question is... do you know when you suck? or would it be a surprise to them?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You didn't mention the size of the venue.

Being an opening band can be a rough deal: You might not be able to do a soundcheck and the equipment might be set up for the headliner with the express warning that nothing should be changed. Throw in a lack of monitors into the mix in an acoustically unknown room and you got your recipe for disaster right there.

When that happens to a band (and it's not uncommon), all they can do is play their best and hope that the sound is coming across ok. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

It's the kind of thing you learn with experience. It'll happen to you too, if you get that far yourself.

3. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Well as a musician I know ways around their problems.. When I play, we don't have that great of a system, so I guess I have learned how to deal with it. it just sucked completely. I'm not sure monitors would have done a whole lot of good..

it was about a 2000 person venue (1500 seats, people were all along the wall, the place was packed) , the event cost about 30 grand, so it was pretty big..

4. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    How many 2000 person venues have you played?

5. I know I suck... atleast I fake it good enough to get me through the song. ;)

6. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    once a year.

2000 people has nothing to do with it, they listed some serious bands that they've opened for, 2000 people is small compaired to what they've done.

7. i always have a good idea of whether or not the band i'm in is sucking hard. for instance, i used to have a bass player (i'm big on the concept of two bass bands and now i'm the only one lol) that was big on having a wall of sound with a 15 and distortion. nuff said. here i am practically playing it tame with a decent semi thin tone, and this guy basically sounds like ass and refuses tO change ANYTHING!! it pissed me off to no end because i was the guy that was trying to keep the rest of the group from falling over because of HIS mistake. luckily all the songs were played well, but it could have went better

8. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Interesting. Details?

9. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    summer camp for my school/church/whoever wants to go.. usually it's just about 50-250

why are you trying to grill me? yes.. the musicians in this band weren't the best. They were off time with each other, the bassist wasn't consistant, the guitarist had 1 "tone".

I am a better bassist than the bassist in this band. I'm not saying I'm a great bassist, but I am better than he was that night.

the singers sounded good, but without a band to back them up, it kinda fell apart.

10. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'm not trying to grill you. I just wanted to know how close you were to the experience that band had.

You're right, the number of people is not always relevant, and I believe you when you say you're a better bassist than the other band. It sounds to me, however, that the point of the venue you describe is not to be a pro band thing, so you shouldn't expect them to be as good as you. Judge not lest you be judged and all that.

Besides, as a musician, your ears are more fine tuned to these performance details than the average listener. I'm sure the bandmembers' parents and the other folks were grooving on it.

11. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I know, but how can the be a famous band (for that area) and not have any type of pedals for their guitar? and who the heck plays out of a behringer amp? if they've opened for who they said they've opened for, they're getting paid for the show, so its not like they're doing it for free and don't have the money for equipment.

I guess it was just a bad night for them.. but just looking at the technique of guitarist (I was a guitarist before bassist) something was weird.

12. guitarists have a tendency to go for behringer cabs because it's just four speakers to them

13. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    oh the crowd loved it. ( the speaker system sucked, so they probably wouldn't be able to hear what I could hear on the stage if they wanted to) but the real band that was there that night just blew them out of the water.. they were amazing. (the bassist for them was extremely amazing.. I was very impressed, his runs and fills were at the perfect time, the perfect lenght, and the perfect harmonies...)

14. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    this wasnt a cab, this was an 1x12 combo amp.

15. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Any band can become big on a local level if they have enough friends. About the lack of gear, who knows? I wasn't there, so I can't say, but if I were you, I wouldn't be dismayed but encouraged. If these guys are as unpolished as you say they were, then getting to that level should be a piece of cake for you, no?

You want to know what band uses crap gear? any band who uses their gig proceeds to buy gear, that's who.

16. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Please explain. For the record, I am not of that camp.

17. If the crowd loved it, then your opinion is pretty much void, because out of 2000 people, if 20 realised it sucked, then that's 1% of the audience. It's all about whether the crowd enjoyed it, if they did then it was a success. Or is it more about pleasing musicians than people? Don't think so.

18. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I'm a contract videographer. which means people see my stuff,hopefully like it, and ask me to be on their crew.

now the purpose of me being there is to "IMAG" which means image magnification. The crowd would appricate it it all it was, was a constant shot of the lead singers head. so why do they higher 5-10 camera ops to run things like stage cams and jib (crain cams)? for the creative side, for me it is fun, I enjoy being creative on the stage, and finding different angles and methods of shooting that look cool..

the audience doesn't know it, so why do they spend all this money to "IMAG"? to be above average... why have just a closeup of the leads head, when you can have that and a shot of the lead guitarist? why not create energy with movements in the shots from people who arn't on tripods?

Like Chris rock said in 'Head of state' "they would cheer if i got up there and read the recipe for corn bread"

the crowd would be okay with anything we show on the screens, or however the band plays. we do what we do to please ourselves, and our peers.

19. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Many musicians have to make do with the best they can afford. Does that make sense?

20. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    +1

Since you put it that way, yup. :smug: