Did you know...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Microbass, Oct 18, 2002.

1. This is probably quite old, but I got a wee laugh outta it going thru my old emails...

Did you know .........

It is impossible to lick your elbow.

A crocodile can't stick it's tongue out.

A shrimp's heart is in their head.

People say "Bless you" when you sneeze because when you sneeze, your heart stops for a milli-second.

In a study of 200,000 ostriches over a period of 80 years, no one reported a single case where an ostrich buried its head in the sand (or attempted to do so - apart from Bones ).

It is physically impossible for pigs to look up into the sky.

A pregnant goldfish is called a twit

Between 1937 and 1945 Heinz produced a version of Alphagetti Spaghetti especially for the German market that consisted solely of little pasta swastikas.

On average, a human being will have sex more than 3,000 times and spend two weeks kissing in their lifetime. ( heeheeeheee :p :D :rolleyes: )

More than 50% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call.

Rats and horses can't vomit.

The ''sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick'' is said to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language.

If you sneeze too hard, you can fracture a rib. If you try to suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neck and die. If you keep your eyes open by force, they will pop out.

Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over a million descendants.

Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.

If the government has no knowledge of aliens, then why does Title 14, Section 1211 of the Code of Federal Regulations, implemented on July 16, 1969, make it illegal for U.S. citizens to have any contact with extraterrestrials or their vehicles?

In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.

The cigarette lighter was invented before the match.

Thirty-five percent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married.

A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

23% of all photocopier faults worldwide are caused by people sitting on them and photocopying their buttocks.

In the course of an average lifetime you will, while sleeping, eat 70 assorted insects and 10 spiders.

Most lipstick contains fish scales.

Cat's urine glows under a black-light.

Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different.

And after that... I bet you tried to lick your elbow!

2. I didnt know that.
    interesting but pretty much useless.:D

BTW: it is now my personal mission to one day lick my elbow.
  3. There is a sulotion...

It involves one of those huge-@$$ table-saw's and leather straps...:p

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Actually, this dates back to the middle ages when the Black Death was raging. In those times, a sneeze could be a sign of people starting to get sick and people started to say God Bless You, hoping that the person wouldn´t catch the Black Death.
  5. really?
    I thought that it originated from olden times where there was a wide spread beleif that when you sneeze your soul is exposed to the devil and saying bless you is protecting you from him.

Yours makes more sense....

and yes i did try to lick my elbow
  6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I read this about the Black Death somewhere, don´t remember where though....
  7. I read a perfectly good explaination of why a ducks quack does not echo. In fact, its right here

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You might be mixing this up with the popular nursery rhyme, which dates back to the Black Death in England and goes "Atishoo, Atishoo, we all fall down" - referring to sneezing and dying!
  9. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Ring around the Roses maybe? I only know it because I say everyday with my friends, its the cool thing to do these days :rolleyes:

The whole saying "bless you" after sneezing was best said by Icez
  10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I don´t think so, since I´ve never heard that nursery rhyme :)

I do not know if what I said is 100% correct, I´m saying that I read this somewhere, and like that explanation of "Bless you" :)
  11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Of course I knew what it was called - :rolleyes: - I just quoted the part that refers to the Black Death and sneezing.

A lot of people don't realise that things aimed at children, like this - often have these macabre derivations!! ;)
  13. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I don't think you can keep your eyes open by force, they involuntarily close. For just that reason, your eyes would pop out!
  14. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

If I'm not mistaken, the actual rhyme goes "Ring around the rosies, pockets full of posies, ashes, ashes, we all fall down."

Over time and reiteration, "ashes, ashes" has evolved into "achoo" or "atishoo", but still many believe that the "achoo" signified the primary symptoms of sneezing which came with contracting the Bubonic plague.

In further analysis, "Rings around the rosies" was representing the act of people joining by the hands around people who were sick with the Plague. Another common symptom or characteristic of attaining the Plague was inflammation or discoloration of the cheeks, thus "rosies" as rose-colored cheeks.

"Pockets full of posies" is another aliteration. Since modern medicine was not at its prime back then, people used to attribute healing and recovery to using herbs, flowers, and other types of plants. Posies, a form of flower, were stuffed into the infected peoples pockets because they were thought to cure you from the Plague.

"Ashes, ashes" is simple enough to figure out, yet many may not understand it at first glance. During the Medieval period where the Bubonic Plague ran rampant in Europe, millions died due to its effects. Cemetery plots were being filled up at an enormous rate, so cremators began cremating people, at big business. Thus the meaning how "ashes, ashes" refers to all the dead being cremated rather than buried.

And finally, "we all fall down" is probably the easiest portion of the poem to interpret. The Plague was so impossible to stop or cure, that eventually most people were stricken with it and died, thus the segment "we all fall down." Even if some of the people weren't dying directly from the Plague's effects, those people were getting sad, angry, delusional, and suicidal at what was going on around them and even more so if many members of their family had passed away because of the Plague. People were dying left and right directly or indirectly from the Plague.

And there is my imprompt and brief :)p ) analysis of a popular nursery rhyme story passed down from generation to generation. Not so childish, is it.

PS. Please disregard my sloppiness in presenting details. I just woke up 10 minutes ago and I just felt like getting a big post out to start my day off. :)
  15. Well.. :p

Chaos.. ROFL that thread is great!

16. Bruce Lindfield

Well I said more or less the same thing in about a fifth of the words!! :rolleyes:
  17. Bruce, he's from Floriduh, leave the man alone :D

..Typical yanks, tho, eh? Always trying to be better...:rolleyes: ;)

:p :D :
  18. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Player haters. :rolleyes:

I just felt like elaborating a bit on that. No harm done.
  19. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Very interesting...I didn't need to know about eating/swallowing the insects/spiders though...Now I wont sleep...YEch:eek: :p
  20. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Horses CAN vomit. They probably die afterwards, but it can happen.