Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did You Make The Switch?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by stefeb, Jun 26, 2002.

1. stefeb

stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    I'm curious if any of you played another instrument before taking up the bass.

I started as a keyboard player (over 40 years ago), then last year I started taking jazz guitar lessons. I thought, "How hard can guitar be?" Well, I found out, it's not as easy as a good musician makes it seem. Then about two weeks ago, I decided I'd like to try to play bass, after all, how hard could it be? (kidding)
    My guitar teacher teaches bass as well, and he is using the first part of my lesson to teach me bass (I bring both the bass guitar and jazz guitar). What I'm discovering is that I love the bass guitar. It's like I finally found my instrument. It just makes sense to me.

Am I making sense?

Anyway, I'm really considering minoring in guitar and majoring in bass, and was curious if anyone else my have followed a similar route.

Thanks.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I started on guitar. I still play guitar.

It sucks, because sometimes I find myself GASing for guitars.

3. Strangelove

Strangelove

Oct 29, 2001
    Illinois
    I started out as a piano player. I didn't really like it, but I'm glad I took lessons for all those years. When I started up bass I had a bit of an edge, musically speaking, and it was easier for me to understand concepts. Plus I can read...slowly. On top of that, it was really easy for me to get into two-handed tapping techniques. I've been able to get into that really hard-core. So even though I didn't like piano, it has helped a lot with the bass.

4. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I started out as a viola player, when I was 5, and have continued to play viola and violin since. I started noodling around on guitars when I was around 10, but never seriously. Maybe three and a half years ago, my brother and some of his friends were starting a band, and suddenly I was the bass player, and after a while I found myself being addicted to bass!

5. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I started on trumpet when I was in 5th grade. Then I decided that bass was the awesomest instrument and I took that up two years later. Ive also recently took up DB, which is really fun to play

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Trumpet, then tuba. Now bass.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Started out on bass, have never had any intention of switching from it.

I've noodled around with keys, drums, guitar. The only one that holds my interest is drums.

8. started with drums when I was 8, bought a bass when I was 14, stopt playing drums when I was 16/17, all Bass nowdays (and very happy with it)....

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Piano at 5.
    Saxophone at 10.

Bass at 13. Oh God, it's been 20 years....:eek:

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    first Oboe from 4th to 7th grade,
    then Sax in 8th grade,
    then Guitar (really all my life always had one around),
    finally Bass before I started high school (1982 to today).

Where are you going to school? Around Here?
    I hear Moravian and Lehigh have good programs.

11. stefeb

stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    I'm taking private lessons from Frank Flandorffer in Allentown. In addition to private lessons he teaches guitar at Lafayette College, and DeSales Univ. He's a great player and teacher.

12. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Started on guitar, took up bass shortly after. I have played both in varying amounts. Currently it's 60/40 in favour of bass.

13. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    I started out on Violin aged 7 to get out of class singing lessons.......you should have seen the other kids faces as each "sing song" time i left the room with a big :D!!

I played by ear and fooled my teacher in to thinking that i could read music for 2 years :rolleyes: at grade 3 i stopped, and for no reason i asked my dad for a bass guitar. The rest is history...........well actually i'm still making that history ;)

I guess its been a four string thing all the way (except for my 5, and 6 string basses..........but they're basses so its Ok.....right!?!)

peace

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Went through a string of instuments in elementary school; violin, clarinet, nothing stuck. In high school, my grandfather died and we inherited a five-string banjo of his that was missing a string. I found myself making some of the worst songs in the world, and loving every second of it. I decided I wanted to play either guitar or bass shortly after, and the four-string banjo sorta guided me towards the bass. Seemed like a natural progression.

'Course now I own a 7-string...:D

15. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I started on the old Trumpet. I am gald I did, it gave me lot of theory. But the problem is that I still want to read treble clef when I should be reading bass...thats ok tough.

16. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I started out as a drummer. Everyone in my area played drums and I sucked at it. So I made the switch to g****r. I couldn't play that either my last option was bass it was perfect because no one played bass and any thing I played would make me better then anyone in my area because no one played bass. So after going through those instruments I can now play all three but my natural talent lies in bass playing.

17. DBeall

DBeall

May 10, 2002
    Vancouver, Wa
    Guitars look like toothpicks to me....

I don't see how anyone can actaully play those, but if you saw me you would understand.

Bass is my first instrument...(unless you count the recorder 1-3 grade....:rolleyes: )

18. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Clarinet > Bass

I also like to play drums/guitar/keys in that order...

19. An accoustic guitar was my first love.
    Jim

20. I started playing drums and precussion in 1971 and bass in 2001. They seem to be very complementary instruments to me. Learning bass has made me approch the drum kit in a different way. I would recomment it to all drummers.