1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Did you name your bass and why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thumbzilla, Apr 30, 2006.

1. thumbzilla

thumbzilla

Apr 28, 2006
    Mentor, Ohio
    We all have pet name for things we love. What have you named your bass?

2. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    my basses name is meg...because when i got my bass..my friend meg was very pissed off at me..so i named it after her and made her feel special and then no longer was mad at me. since then me and meg have completelly stoped talking but my bass is still meg. or meggy

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My basses in the beginning were named after girlfriends. I got new basses almost as often as new girlfriends, or the other way around, so there were a bunch of them that were named, and sold. Then my basses just ended up being a timeline of bad relationships.

Then I found a girl I kept around for two years, and had so many basses come through my hands that I ran out of names, so they stopped getting names.

No basses have been named in years, however, I still have my first bass Molly after my first girlfriend at the time.

4. I named my basses after a few of my favorite anime...

[​IMG]
    That's Fullmetal,

[​IMG]
    and that's Rukia, or the Naruto bass, if you prefer.

5. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    haven't thought about that. maybe i'll name one Vash the Stampede, or Vash the Humaniod Typhoon, or kenshin, or amuro ray, or......but usually i give my basses&guitars girl names that coheed and cambria use in their albums. so far i have a josephine, newo ikkin, and maria

p.s. nice setup.

6. My first bass didn't have a name (too crapy), but my actual bass is named "Germaine", and my amp is called "Georgette". I don't know why, but I like names that begin with "G", they all just really sound bad...:bag:
    My next two basses and/or amps will be named "Gertrude" and "Gilberte". Also, my Ipod is named George....

7. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Nice! Are you gonna name one Ambellina? Or maybe Emily Court . . .

8. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    well actually maria is the name of the new thumb, but it was a hard choice between maria, mariah, and ambelina. second stage turbine blade is my favorite album ever, it changed my life, and i consider it the best coheed album, so im tryin to stick to names from it. im a heed fan from along time back so you know....

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Mine is named the Plow, in tribute to Berry Oakley's Tractor.

Both basses for reference:

Attached Files:

10. my basses names are 4, 5, 6, and whammy bar ;-)

11. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I feel like I replied to this thread recently... Hmmm. Maybe it was another one like it...

Anyhow, my bass is named "Lester" after Lester Young. I was listening to him on the way to pick up my new Yamaha TRB1006 from the store.

Joe

12. I don't have a picture right now, but I made a decal of a pinup girl and put it on the pickguard of my p-bass, and I don't know if anyone remembers the series Firefly (movie called Serenity) but the big mercenary guy called his favorite gun Vira, so that's my basses name, after an obscure movie quote.

13. SherpaKahn

SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    My Ibanez Musician is named "The Pocket Monster". It signifies my love for the pocket, and how much of a dweeb I can be, what with that Pokemon phase and all.

FullBodyfront.

14. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Big Jim and the Twins. Oh hang on...that wasnt my bass.

15. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    DSC_0032.
    From the left:
    "Bentley"
    "Betsy"
    "Smitty"

16. all mine after girlfreinds:
    kate- useless pile of crap that never got me anywhere
    jenni- a heavy nasty bass to play, looks nice on the outside but when you get down to it a real b**ch
    emma- i was going to name my new rickenbacker after emma, my price bass, my best bass, but the date got put back untill aug, and emma left me, so im genna get some cheapo pilr of rubbish just to keep me going until then and name it after emma
    when the rickenbacker comes i will name it after my next girlfreind, hopefully this time a perfect girl.

17. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    I name my basses after girls names in beatles songs. My first bass, a Cort Action 4 was named Lucy, my Fender P is named Rita, my Alembic is named Lizzie, the next one if its the right bass (hopefully it will be now that I've tried quite a few basses and know what I'm looking for) will be named Mary Jane.

I still have Anna, Michelle, Maggie, and Eleanor to go :)

18. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    I try not to name inanimate objects . My friends in the southern rock band my coverband runs with call my Orange J Bass "The General Lee" ( Rednecks Go Figure ) and my fretless P bass "Difficult" because their bass player can't play fretless Yet. to Me they are just the basses

19. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    no... I don't name anything that won't recognize it's name when called. That includes cats.

20. ric 4003 - chelsea, i have no idea why i chose to name it that.
    EBMM stingray - jacob, named after the singer of converge which is wierd because the bassist used to use stingrays all the time and one of the reasons i bought it was because of nate (the bassist).
    Ibanez GSR200 - the first, because its was first bass i owned.