Did you say "Punchy"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blue, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Blue

Blue Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    Define "punchy" please. I have my ideas, but I'm wondering what descriptives others use.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It's the little kick in the chest when you hit a note. Usually comes out then you slap, and it just punches at you.
  3. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    To me, punchy = quick response. Tight sounding without muddy lows.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    When you hit a B string at about the 10th fret through an Eden 410XLT.

That's punch, end of story.
  5. Kakulash

Jun 18, 2004
    its the perfect tone for playing old chili peppers stuff, like Get Up and Jump, Blackeyed Blonde, or Skinny Sweaty Man.

speaking of punchy, who knows a good punchy setting for a GK 1001RB II? I just got mine and im still looking for that perfect tone.
  6. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

See my 8-10 thread. PUNCHY!!
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Nice definition. Speaking of which, an advantage to punchy tone is good note definition. :)

I'll add that punchy tone sits well in the mix. A huge hi-fi tone might sound great in the showroom or living room, but can get lost when mixed with other instruments.

I was gonna simply respond "Bergantino NV610", but y'all are probably tired of me saying that 'round here
  8. Blue

Blue Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    I have no idea what a B string at the 10th fret through an Eden 410XLT sounds like, but have been impressed by Ampeg 8x10's - both tonally and hauling them around (done B3's too)

I guess I was expecting ... more of a physical experience ... :

"Moves the cloth on your trouser pants when you first hit the note."

Inference is - fast amp, small (responsive) speakers, no compression, bass knob not dimed - ???

Any more?
  9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    My impression of "Punchy" is tight, fast lower through upper mid-bass frequency response [say from A1 (open 3rd string on a bass guitar --55Hz) through G2 -- (open 1st string on a bass guitar -- 98Hz)].

Several cabinets using 10" or 8" (and sometimes smaller -- like Phil Jones' 5.25") drivers excell in this area (though some cabs using larger speakers can also pull it off -- like a Bag End S15-D).

Below that frequency range, low end speed and articulation would be "Booty" not "Punchy"; of course, JMO.