Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

did you see that?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Antipop, Jan 15, 2006.

1. the 4th quarter in the steelers/colts game.

My god that was insane

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Yes, but my Colts still lost.:crying:

3. I was pulling for the colts aswell. Mainly because the steelers were iiots running that ball in. I thought they deserved to lose after that

edit: sorry I thought that 4th quarter deserved its own thread

4. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    A message to the Colts:

Hey, guys, guess what. 16-0 would have put you in the history books. Winning a Super Bowl gets you a ring, and a stat among 40 other stats.

You chose to go for the ring, and you lost both. I trust you'll make a better decision should the opportunity come up again.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Wow, what a 4th quarter. The table turned so many times and so fast that it must have drilled a hole into the ground. Someone explain that reverse of call made by the referee after seeing the replay on the challenge by the Colts.Why was it reversed, I'm so confused.

Anyways, I'm just happy the Colts lost.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    the reasoning was that his knee had not left the ground before the ball started to leave his hands.

Anyway, looked like a pick to me.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'm sure that was what they were thinking when Indy lost to San Diego. :confused: "No need to play hard, we'll just prepare for the Big Game."

Tell me what the better decision is? Not lose? :scowl:

Oh well it was simply the disappointing end to a great season. No shame in losing to the a title-hungry Steelers team.

8. Okay well... think about it

21-18

The Steelrs Knee 3 times...(the Colts call a time out all 3 times) then you kick the FG... make it 24-18. lets say theres 50 seconds on the clock...

You are giving the Ball to Peyton Manning! All he has to do is score a touchdown and make the extra point and they win.

The steelers were correct in trying to score... Put the game Away.

Bettis Ran High...
    In Peewee football you are taught to always RUN LOW, guard the ball, guard the ball. He was being selfish he ran High, thats a Nono, you always run low, look at everyback in the NFL they run low, it gives you more power, you can push off the grown because of where you center of gravity is. I played Fullback and TE in HS, as well as DE.

they taught us if the runner is running high try to put a helmet or arm near the ball, he'll try to make a move because he has every intent on getting around you and not thru you. Running High is more for agility, running low is for power, you read the player, you make the play. Bettis SHOULD know this, its been a staple of his game for 13 years, It was his fault, not the lines fault, or the coaches, but his.

I wont blame the colts lost of vanderjagt, but if the steelers would have loss it would have been all on Bettis... that was a selfish move...

9. also let me say, the overturn on the INT was BS...
    but let me also say, that was the 3rd time this season he didnt get a pick because he decided to try and run...

2 replays overturned, and one the ref said it wasnt a pick.

Learn your lesson...

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Did anyone else catch that offsides/false start-no-call? Regardless of outcome, with no time outs called, there should've been a penalty called. Period.

11. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Selfish for running the play called in the huddle?

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Bettis sure is a selfish player all right, what a jerk. He stands on the sidelines and enthusiastically cheers on every other RB on that team all game long.....all season long. He comes in to get beat up on short yardage plays when asked, then returns to the sidelines after he gets the first down to let the other RB's continue playing. What a selfish schmuck. :rollno:

I had no idea playing HS football makes someone an authority on playing running back in the NFL.

-Mike

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

+1

Bettis is a fine example of a team player.

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I agree, if they didn't see the Steelers flinch, they should have called a penalty on the Colts for attempting to draw a false start.

+1
    He's also an extremely rare fumbler.

15. well said.

16. Well, I don't really care about either of the teams but I wish the steelers would have lost because my dad is an obnoxious steelers fan. I watched the whole game. It was a very good one. I love Jerome Bettis and if they would have lost because of his fumble I would have been sad. He is such a great player and an excelelent, unselfish person (something the nfl seems to be lacking more and more) *cough*T.O.*cough* :D

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm not sure I follow your logic. What choice do you think the Colts should have made?

-Mike

18. Apparently it was their choice to the lose to the Chargers. In the words of Myron Cope, "Oi."

19. no for running high... thats justa no no...

I geuss it doesnt... but its what they teach, its a fundamental...

but i see where you guys are coming from, it wasnt selfish... or stupid. He wanted the TD, wanted his team to win. Sometimes when you are in the moment you just do. My apologies, i just dont agree with running high in that situation.

Heres the INT...er incomplete pass.

http://stillustronic.com/ItWasAnInt.mov

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No problems buddy. Sorry if I came on a little strong. I just have never heard anyone claim that Bettis is a selfish player before.

Your idea makes some sense, but I'm going to go ahead and trust Jerome Bettis' instincts on a play like that. He didn't play this long, make five Pro Bowls, and get up to the #5 all time leading rusher not knowing when to run high or low. :D

-Mike