1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

did you see?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassist15, Mar 22, 2006.

1. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Did anyone see the Miles davis indcution last night. It was truly a great moment to honor a great musician and a revelutionary. Herbie Hancock's speach about Miles was great and true to the point. The performance was also great. with

Buster williams on acoustic bass
    Marcus Miller on electric bass
    Jack DeJohette(spelling?) on drums
    Herbie Hancock keys
    Mike Stern on guitar
    Dont know the trumpeters name but he looked similar to Miles

Buster impressed me with the solo he did. Im not to sure what the song was or what album it was from but it was a very Funky tune with almost everyone taking a solo. Anyone know any Miles albums that have a funky side to them?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jack Dejohnette
    ...the trumpet player was probably Wallace Roney.

Funky Miles?
    Check out stuff like On The Corner & The Complete Cellar Door Sessions with Michael Henderson on bass.
    Also, We Want Miles, Star People with Marcus Miller...'chromatic Funk' is how Electric Miles' author Paul Tingen described it.

You may also be interested in funky Hancock with Buster Williams stuff like Fat Albert Rotunda or even funky Eddie Henderson(trumpet player in Hancock's "Fat Albert" & Sextant-era groups) stuff like Sunburst.

3. I loved it. It was obviously edited down. They played "Tutu" and "Jean Pierre." I read they also played "In a Silent Way" but it wasn't aired (THAT'S the one I wanted to see!)