Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did you start out on something besides bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by paintandsk8, May 23, 2003.

1. Bass was my first instrument

13 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I started on another stringed instrument

22 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. I started on another non-stringed instrument

30 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    When reading posts and talking to other bassists face to face i have come to realize that many bassists started on other instruments. I want to find out what the percentage really is.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Drums, I've been playing drums for like 7 years, bass for 5.

I played trumpet, then sax(alto and bari) then some piano, then trombone, then bass.

3. I was the leader of the most annoying trumpet section in Alaska. I miss them so very much. :D

-Dave

4. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Violin (mandatory school thing)

1st chosen instrument was Viola. (Actually it was drums, but they didn't let me :mad: )

Switched to double bass in 8th grade.

Got an electric in 10th

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Here is my chronological progression of musical inmstruments:
    Code:
    Flute---->Tuba---->Bass Guitar---->Upright Bass
                           |
                           |
                            ---->Guitar

My main instrument is the tuba. I never play the flute anymore. Bass Guitar is my second instrument, and upright bass is after that. Guitar is just for messing around.

6. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Bass was first for me.

7. That diagram was purdy, Nick. I always felt sorry for the kid I knew that was forced to play the flute in 7th grade.

-Dave

8. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I wasnt forced to do it, I chose to. I started in 4th grade. I switched to tuba because I was bored with flute, it wasn't fun anymore. Then I discovered how much more i loved the tuba, and I have loved it since. Then came electric bass because of my love for all things low-end, and upright bass came because i wanted to try it out, and I like playing it too.

9. Understood. I wasn't really trying to say all guys who play the flute are forced. It's actually one of my favorite latin/jazz instruments, when played by someone with skill.

It's just that, naturally, the guy playing what people seem to cast as a girly instrument, gets made fun of. It's not right, but it's true.

I've gotten to play the tuba a few times. That is truly a fun instrument. If I could've afforded one, I would've.

Have you ever listened to Drums and Tuba?

(Sorry is this sidetracks anything...)

-Dave

10. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I first started out on tenor saxaphone, though that never really grew on me. I gave that up, than started bass about a year later. Since starting bass I also learned a little drums, and an even littler amount of guitar.

11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Played recorder and clarinette through most of my school days, in school bands, marching bands and smaller groups (duos, quartets). I'm told I was quite good.

Stopped playing altogether because of abusive music teacher, mopeds and girls at about 15. :)

Started playing bass by chance at age 26, and never looked back.

I wish today I had had a more decent teacher. Who knows what 10 more years of practicing while I was younger could have brought.

12. Viola.

That's right. Viola. I would shred on that thing. Pizz all day.

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Recorder and classical violin.

14. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Flute first. I was the forced kid.:D
    Later on I took on percussions.
    In fact, the most important reason that I couldn't get into bass earlier is the
    guitarist-playing-hotel-california-by-the-campfire-at-the-beach image. I mean I truly didnt want to practise with a classic guitar, carry it around and stuff.

15. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Guitar. Started when I was ten. Switched to bass when I was 15. Still play a pretty mean guitar, tho.;)

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I started on guitar. I played it for about 6 months or so but I switch to bas cause I enjoyed it more.

17. Not sure if this really counts, but I started singing in my school's vocal ensemble before I picked up bass.

18. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Violin 8 years, Guitar 20 years, Bass 9 months and from now on. Saved the best for last.

19. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Piano, Trumpet, Guitar, then Bass.

And what's with all the flute bashing? :D

I'd love to play the flute. Seriously. Listen to "Just Another Story" or "Stillness In Time" by Jamiroquai - or early 70s Return To Forever (e.g. "Spain"), and you'll see what I mean.