Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Did you use to play a Warwick?

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Rodan, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Watt,

Saw you play a show, opening up for the Beastie Boys at UMass in 1992. I think it was in March or so that year, as it was some big outdoor festival-type of event. Some other bands I remeber playing that show were the Fishbone and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Anyway, my point is that I distinctly remember you playing this wood colored bass that looked a lot like a Warwick Thumb. Was it a Thumb? If so, I take it you didn't like it cause it's not up on your website.

I just remember noticing because I had seen you play with fIREHOSE two or three times before and you always played the white Telecaster.

BTW, I met you once at the old Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill(when it used to be on Franklin St.) and really appreciated the fact that you actually took the time to talk to me, as I was just an 18 year old kid (about 10 years ago). Anyway, you've definitely been a great influence and I will never forget that day. The fIREHOSE shows were always amazing.

So, just curious if you ever did play a Warwick and what your thoughts are on these basses. I'm looking to get a new bass and I keep thinking about these. I'll try them out at the store and sometimes I will like the way they sound, on other days, playing the same instrument, they just don't seem right. What do you think?

2. Mr, Wise Man

Mr, Wise Man

Apr 23, 2001
    Watt's starting a mini-tour with Banyan tomorrow, so maybe he won't get around to answering this for a while. At any rate, I don't think that he's ever owned a Warwick, but I believe he's borrowed Norwood (of Fishbone)'s before -- if I'm memberin' right, he had to take the B string off, 'cause it was a five. Was this that night?

3. Possible. Fishbone did play that day.

4. i remember reading an artilce once where watt mentions having to use norwood's 5 string thumb bass as well. that was probably the gig you were at!